Author Topic: Max II Clutch Or Power Adjustment  (Read 8060 times)

Offline JonathanF101185

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
  • Jonathan's South Texas 6x6
Re: Max II Clutch Or Power Adjustment
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 10:06:16 PM »
This is the machine y'all are helping me with btw.

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »
Delduck, I just remembered the previous owner told me he put a brand new fuel filter on the engine before I got it.  I don't think that could be the issue.  I wish it was, that would have been an easy fix.

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
I will check on those things ascaw and get back to y'all.  I noticed the clutch pulley closes will running but very little.  It moves about a half inch outward as it tightens.  Im not sure what the full range on the clutch is.  The engine sounds great at idle and it gains speed normally.  It isn't fast by any means.  I don't think it goes over 10mph.  I will check the RPM.  Its supposed to be 3600 RPM but I need to verify that it is. 

Ascaw, and WFO I will work on the carb and check on that too shortly and get back to y'all with that update.

Delduck, I will check the fuel filter and possibly just replace if theres any chance thats the problem.

Thanks for the input!

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »
Are both clutches opening and closing as the engine RPM changes?  As the drive clutch pulley closes with increased engine RPM the driven clutch should get further apart.  If so are they operating at full range in and out? 

With the transmission in neutral how does the engine sound at idle and when you increase RPM?  Does the enginge seem to gain speed normally?  How many RPM is it running at full throttle (estimate)?  Is the butterfly in the carb wide open at full throttle?

Offline Delduck

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »
Alright I’ll try,     about a year or so ago someone posted a similar problem with a 18 hp. It ended up being a fuel filter issue.   2 cents hope it helps

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »
time for a compression test. maybe go thru the carb. make sure the throttle is opening all the way.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:22:35 PM by WFO »
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
So I did some trial and error this weekend. Put a new belt, tightened it by adjusting the position of the motor. Did an oil change because the previous owner had overfilled the 16hp Briggs by a quarter quart or so. Put new spark plugs and took it for a spin. It was still lacking any power to climb etc. I then pulled the air filter and although it looked great, it had oil inside it, most likely from the previous owner overfilling it. So I replaced the air filter and it seems to have a bit more power. But it’s not at 100%. I took it back out and got stuck in the mud with it. The tires wouldn’t spin at times because the mud was too much for the engine. I had to rock it back and forth but to no avail. It seems something is holding back its power but I don’t know what. I adjusted the governor to wide open.  But it doesn’t seem to have as much power as it should.

Shouldn’t the tires at least keep spinning in the mud and not bog down completely. It was slop yes. But the 4 wheeler my buddy had mad it right through. But the max didn’t seem to have enough power. Could this be a clutch issue? I’m running out of things in my mind that it could be. But Id like halls expertise on this matter if y’all could help me out. Thanks in advance.

Offline whipperag

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »
IT may not be your belt, let’s wait and see.
 popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn
Whipperag

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
Whipperag, I’m new to a Max, but not to that extent lol. Reminds me of when my Uncle was in the dog house. My aunt called because the car wouldn’t start and he asked her if the key was in the ignition. Bad move there. But yes, I am new in the sense that, I had a Max II breifly back in 2002 but it has been a while. That was a project that I got running eventually and sold. This time around is for my personal enjoyment.  I ordered a new belt and should be able to put it on this weekend to give it a try. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Offline whipperag

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:59:39 PM »
You say your new to this, you know you have to hold the laterals forward to make it go.
Especially when climbing a hill.
 popcorn popcorn popcorn
Whipperag

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
NO Problem  ;)
You can check your old belt first as it should be around 1.3/16 wide at the top. Or Close as the exact # fails me rite now  whistling
Good luck and keep us posted  popcorn
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »
Wow. Thank you for the help! I have a small bulge installed as well. I will try those things out. I appreciate the response. I’ll update y’all once I do these and see if they solve the problem.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
First Welcome to the site  :D
Now it is hard without seeing the machine But Lets start with the Belt. If it is OLD it may be worn Meaning it is NOT as WIDE as it was when new. This is the easy fix. Best to get a new belt even if just to have for back up. Then you can see the difference between the two. Most of the time the problem you say your having is due to a worn belt. Also you can move the engine back some to compensate but you still have a Worn Belt !
The water deal is not all that uncommon ! If you Grease the bearings real good it will help . ( you should anytime After your running in water ) But you can jack the machine up . Pull the wheel off and unbolt the outer flange and use Plumbers Putty in tape form . Put in between the flange and body. A Little Water getting in is not bad but keep an eye on it if your out there for some time !
Most of us put a small Bilge pump in the lower tub . I have one in Mine even thou I don't swim very often but when I do I am good to go.
Hope this helps and Please ask anything you want to know as we are here to help ! banana
Also the belt is a Dayco HP3003
 ;)
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
Max II Clutch Or Power Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »
Hello,

My name is Jonathan, forgive me for my ignorance as  I just recently purchased a 1997 Max II with a couple year old 16hp Briggs V twin engine. I have new tires on the machine as well. I noticed it lacks power when trying to climb unless I have momentum. But when I roll up to a 4” step up or so, the machine doesn’t have the torque to climb. Is there an adjustment on the clutch to grab for more power, or is there another adjustment on the machine that can be done to help with this issue?

Also, the seal around the axles and body leaks a little as I am in the water. Could this be fixed without taking apart the axle and redoing the seal, I. E. Waterproof Silicone bead etc.

Thanks in advance for your responses.