Author Topic: Tracks for a Argo Bigfoot  (Read 2138 times)

Offline rider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: Tracks for a Argo Bigfoot
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 09:18:56 AM »
Hey guys, what tracks are you running and how do you like them.  I am  looking at $1300 plastic tracks and 3500$ rubber tracks, are the rubber
ones better?  If they are are the worst the difference.  I am in snow 8-14" just during the winter in MI.    Dave

Like some have said, will depend on terrain. Next issue, your machine , assuming it is an early non current Bigfoot, does not have enough clearance for tracks on 25's so you will need to go 22. This allows 13std track, Trurax, Supertracks, Adair tracks, channels and most all others, however rubber tracks were never designed for that machine which would require modifications/alterations.
Finding a used set could save some money though they will likely have some wear.

In only 8-14" of snow you'll probably find any track would be fine though you may want ice cleats on anything plastic if you will be encountering ice.

good luck

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:34:20 PM »
I used the R.I tracks from 20 plus years ago, rubber. they worked great untill I destroyed the axle bearings
thats how the ULTIMATE BEARINGS were invented  banana
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
I’m also with Dozer. The track should match the use. I’ve used all of them at one time or another. The rubber tracks are possibly the best traction on more surfaces than other designs. Alaska snow is mostly dry and soft until spring and the rubber tracks give better flotation than a standard width plastic track. Number one drawback of rubber tracks is they use a lot of power to drive them. Second rubber puts a lot of load on axles, bearings ect. Your Bigfoot probably has the older stamped axle flanges. I would stay away from rubber unless you want to change out the corner axles to the HD design. Tracks are so much fun to just drive over stuff that humans can’t even walk on.

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 07:21:20 AM »
 iagree with Larry.

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 04:07:14 AM »
Dozer
I don't have tracks but here is my .02 cents, I have researched my A^& off about tracks and what are the "BEST", well the best is what is suited to what you are driving in, for deep snow a closed type of track(IE rubber or plastic like a snowmobile) plastick would not be good on ice, rubber is better, if they didn't work for snow than sleds would not use them, for mud you need to have them clean out and a open style track would be best. on rocks a rubber track will do good, but a metal channel would not be as good.. So in a nut shell the "BEST" track for you is based on the condition you drive in. ask 10ppl and you will get 10 diff responses as there conditions are not the same as yours...

best advice is search the forums and do the research and decide what YOU think will work best for your conditions....

Offline Dozer

• 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:17:46 PM »
Craig:  Thanks for reply,  You know its funny, who ever you call ( except one guy at RR ) said their tracks were the best and the rest of them were junk.
Nice to hear from a actual user the truth.  The rubber tracks may be fine but if you can get tracks that work for 70% less money, that is for me.  Again Thanks Craig
for the answer.  Dave

Offline Craig_B

• 6x6'er
  • 1983 Argo TB 8X8 and a 1963 Pengor Penguin
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
I used my plastic tracks last winter in snow as deep or deeper than what you describe.
Worked just fine.

Offline Dozer

• 6x6'er
Tracks for a Argo Bigfoot
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »
Hey guys, what tracks are you running and how do you like them.  I am  looking at $1300 plastic tracks and 3500$ rubber tracks, are the rubber
ones better?  If they are are the worst the difference.  I am in snow 8-14" just during the winter in MI.    Dave