Author Topic: Let’s talk bearings  (Read 7228 times)

Offline snaps10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: Let’s talk bearings
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »
That's an easy one, look at Richard fine old site ROUTE6x6.com. there is a section on it called HOW TO
Lots of great info there, I have linked you the Locking Collar section for you.  tp  Jeff Bar

You should always by good bearings not farm store or discount house bearings as they are crap.

http://route6x6.com/howto/bearing/index.html

Yup. Did all of that. 4 times on two different bearing sets. Still slips out. They are from buffalo bearings, was recommended to me from a few people.

My opinion, pull the axle aftef marking where bearing and collar should ride, put a micrometer on there. Had a few too warn to be able to tighten properly.
This may be it actually.  Would make sense, the axle has some fitting and rust that i lightly sanded off.  The rig doesn't appear to be used much though, was just left to rot for a while.  I'll get one on and see.

Offline rider

• 6x6'er
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »
That's an easy one, look at Richard fine old site ROUTE6x6.com. there is a section on it called HOW TO
Lots of great info there, I have linked you the Locking Collar section for you.  tp  Jeff Bar

You should always by good bearings not farm store or discount house bearings as they are crap.

Yup. Did all of that. 4 times on two different bearing sets. Still slips out. They are from buffalo bearings, was recommended to me from a few people.

My opinion, pull the axle aftef marking where bearing and collar should ride, put a micrometer on there. Had a few too warn to be able to tighten properly.

Offline Tbone9

• 6x6'er
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 10:44:45 AM »
I get the set screw type from Buffalo Bearings. 
What it lacks in ground clearance is made up for with traction.

Offline Roadwolf

• 6x6'er
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 06:19:10 AM »
Sorry to say buffalo bearings are crap, buy better bearings

Phillip LA Osborn

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »
I’ve had lots of trouble with the lock collars too. I switched to the set screw type and had way better luck.

Where does one acquire those?

Offline Tbone9

• 6x6'er
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 11:11:55 PM »
I’ve had lots of trouble with the lock collars too. I switched to the set screw type and had way better luck.
What it lacks in ground clearance is made up for with traction.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »

Offline Argo8x8

• 6x6'er
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 04:06:13 PM »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:09:01 PM by Argo8x8 »

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »
I’ve now redone the bearing 4 times and every time it slips out about 1/2” within a couple miles of driving. I’ve tried locking the collar both ways, locking it on super hard and rechecked it constantly. Don’t know what’s going on, unless they sent me the wrong bearings. The collar is locking hard against the axle, but I don’t see what keeps it locked onto the bearing side. I don’t see any taper that would keep the two together, or is it just the friction between the collar and the axle?

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »
The old bearing was all cracked up at the locking ring. I chalked it up to weak metal and replaced it with a spare. Now there’s a gap between the new one after 2 days of riding. Am I locking them incorrectly?  I’m doing it as I see on the videos. Also, the axle was straight as an arrow when I pulled it last time.
[/q.
      I watched a video on the other site awhile back, I thought he said something about putting the lock collars on so as your driving it would force them tighter if you got against anything. Righty tighty on left side and tighten counter clockwise on the right side. Not sure if this helps may need to just tap it a bit tighter when installing? Let us know what you figure out, hope you don't need an axle.
Dan

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 11:06:16 PM »
The old bearing was all cracked up at the locking ring. I chalked it up to weak metal and replaced it with a spare. Now there’s a gap between the new one after 2 days of riding. Am I locking them incorrectly?  I’m doing it as I see on the videos. Also, the axle was straight as an arrow when I pulled it last time.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
Always good to spin them as you grease them also. I do mine at an Idle on a Stand that way you get the grease all the way around the bearing. But Lining up the Holes is always a good idea  ;)
Genius

I’m thinking I either have a bent axle right at that bearing, or it’s not in straight, thought it seemed to be straight and took plenty of grease when I put it in. There is a bounce to my rig and I can’t find it. I’ve watched all of the wheels while at idle and none appear to be bent, shouldn’t have flat spots in the tires, and I can see some axle between the new bearing and the lock collar. Don’t know how that would be unless it bent right at the point where the collar meets the bearing?

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »
Always good to spin them as you grease them also. I do mine at an Idle on a Stand that way you get the grease all the way around the bearing. But Lining up the Holes is always a good idea  ;)
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline rider

• 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 04:21:19 PM »
The grease very rarely gets where it's suppose to go.
It is suppose to go into that little hole in the OD of the bearing.
Even if you line up the zert fitting with the hole I don't think the grease will go into
the hole.
About all you can do is pump lots of grease in it to fill the void between the bearing
and the flanges, that will help slow down the water from coming in when your floating.
The mud and gunk will surely fill that little oil hole in no time.
Keep plenty of bearings in your tool bag. banana banana banana banana
 dance dance dance dance dance dance

The grease hole is on the wrong side of that bearing, if the grease hole is on the fitting side and both flanges are not wore and bearing is installed straight they should take grease proper and last many hours.
http://6x6talk.com/gallery/155-120618160922.jpeg
http://6x6talk.com/gallery/155-120618161215.jpeg

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »
Or you can get the ultimate Bearings and never screw around with any of this crap. kik kik
WFO knows.
 dance dance dance dance

Wish I could, 2 kids need braces at the same time. Ive downgraded to Busch light.