6x6 Technical Questions > Engine 2 cycle

What's the place to buy JLO parts?

<< < (2/3) > >>

chrisgt500:
I've been busy so this kinda hit the backburner. I couldn't quite get all the scoring and rust marks out of the cylinder with a hone, there's a bit of ring ridge at the top, and I was afraid to hone it too much. The result, I think, is I have low compression. The engine starts right up and idles amazing, but it doesn't have a ton of power and backfires out the carburetor. It's actually ok when it's cold, then as it warms up the power decreases and the RPM at which it backfires out the carb lowers. I'm fairly certain it isn't a timing or tuning issue, I've gone rich/lean, and advanced/retarded on the timing and nothing changes the backfiring out the carb.

I know it's bad to beat on a cold 2-stroke but if it's broken what am I gonna do, break it?. Once isn't gonna blow it up, and it was a good test. The fact that it makes more power and doesn't backfire out the carb when cold really leads me to believe it loses compression as it warms up. The piston was looser in the bore than I thought it should be, too. Oh it's also not the exhaust being too restricted, I removed the muffler and it exhibits the exact same issues with a straight pipe, albeit making a lot more noise.

Since it idles fine, what do you folks think? Overbore piston, have the cylinder bored out at an engine shop, and she'll be good to go?
When I had it apart I measured the piston and cylinder. I seem to recall the piston was around 74.5mm and the cylinder was a hair over 75mm.

rider, the piston in it now is a Mahle, if that matters. Do you also have rings? dexter2011 mentioned he may have rings, so it's possible I could piece something together.
Looking at ebay ads is really confusing, the same parts are listed as different overbores for different engines. It makes sense, just have no idea what I'd need.

rider:
I may have 2 new wiseco pistons in the camper, ill check if wanted. They may be slight overbores.

chrisgt500:
I think I can get away with the piston/jug off the parts engine. It appears to have sat with water in it for a long time, the bottom end is a ball of rust but the cylinder wall only has very light surface rust toward the bottom. It doesn't appear to go deep, it should clean up well and be perfect with a light hone. The rings grooves in the piston appear to be in good shape, the rings don't have excessive play, and the piston isn't scored. It might not be perfect, but should be pretty good.

So I'm thinking a gasket set, crank seals, and a set of rings should get me back on the road. Otherwise I have a honda GX390 and a 340cc rotax taking up space, I just don't feel like a fabrication project right now...

Don:
Manufacturer's Supply still carries the gasket/seal sets for most of the old 2-strokes, but they no longer have pistons if I remember rightly. Richard may have some of the parts you need but last I knew, he was low on vintage 2-stroke stuff as well.

Good Luck! I think I have an NOS jug/piston/ring set for a 295 if you find you need one.

Don

wedge:
e.bay is really the only place I know of ? Check the sellers out as one or two of them may have there own Shop/Store ??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

It appears that you have not registered with 6x6Talk Forum. To register, please click here...
Go to full version