Author Topic: Hustler 880 Jet Pump Installation  (Read 4417 times)

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: Hustler 880 Jet Pump Installation
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »
 Hey Skip, sorry just saw this post today. No, I do not have any info/pics, etc for this item. It's got me sorta stumped as to how to proceed with this build. For now I'm thinking of a v-belt circuit to drive the pump. V-belts can go around corners to make a right angle drive.

Offline skipthescrounger

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »
Just read your post on the jet pump. I was wondering if you ever found any photos of the little gear box for it. I have been given the lower body of this machine with the jet pump still in it but the owner gave the gear box to someone to run on a go kart. I am building a new Crocodile 6x6 and thought that the jet drive unit would be great for it for the water. I can not find any photos any where of this setup.

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
 Update. The 5J5 is now disassembled without destroying it in the process. We will do a photo shoot soon and post up all the good stuff about it. As of right this moment I will very humbly proclaim to be the "Worlds leading authority of the Berkley 5J5"  whistling

Offline Delduck

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 06:29:30 PM »
I agree wedge, it looks like the older bombadeer wave runner jet holes. Maybe look int sea do or other jet ski models

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »
Joe, have you talked to Richard?   He has lots of Hustler parts but I'm not sure about the jet pump.  Not sure if he would have the manuals either.  I guess it would be worth a phone call, the worst he can say is no.

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »
Huh, similar story with similar results.

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
 Found this on another site. I'm beginning to understand why I can not find much info on this jet pump itself.

"I'm starting this post because there seams to be very little info on these pumps, i have 3 of them right now and im gathering as much information as possible on them so that hopfully others who are going to use them and looking for info on them will find this thread. If any of you guys have any info, post it, and lets get as much info on in the thread as possible.

From what i've been told so far these pumps were made for small boats, sounds like they never really took off. Sombody at cp performance told me berk went bankrupt and cp aqquired berks stuff. Cp i guess didnt really get any info on these pumps from berk and so nobody there really knows anything about them, least nobody i have talked to yet. They aquired the stock that was left and i guess they are no longer making these or parts. They have some assembled units left from what i've been told."

Sound familiar?

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
Looks like a good place for a Jet pump to me  banana
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »
 Added a picture.

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »
I had one years ago and may have some pics in the computer. The pulley for the drive belt was mounted to the back of the clutch between the main belt and crankcase. A sliding dog type clutch engaged the right angle drive to the pump. I believe it was a Berkeley Pump. It worked real good in open water , not great in grass.

Thanks for the reply! This is the sort of info I'm fishing for. Pics would be great. I have a Berkley 5J5 pump that I got from Drew and Jeff years ago. I'm most certain it was removed from a Hustler. Need more info about the right angle gearbox.

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 07:15:02 AM »
You do realize that you will have to modify frame in order for pump to sit in the middle?

They also used a 90 degree gear box between jet pump and engagement clutch then belt drive to a pulley behind the engine clutch.

Phillips LA Osborn

The 880 frames are built to accommodate the jet pump. The fiberglass lower has the "recess" for the pump discharge nozzle. Thanks for the tidbit bout the pulley behind the drive clutch, that is the info I'm looking for. I will try to get a few pics posted soon.

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
I had one years ago and may have some pics in the computer. The pulley for the drive belt was mounted to the back of the clutch between the main belt and crankcase. A sliding dog type clutch engaged the right angle drive to the pump. I believe it was a Berkeley Pump. It worked real good in open water , not great in grass.

Offline Roadwolf

• 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 01:16:26 PM »
You do realize that you will have to modify frame in order for pump to sit in the middle?

They also used a 90 degree gear box between jet pump and engagement clutch then belt drive to a pulley behind the engine clutch.

Phillips LA Osborn

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 01:06:20 PM »
 Old fiberglass 880  :))

Offline Roadwolf

• 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
Are. you I installing in a plastic or fiberglass Hustler?
They were only first installed in old Fiberglass models.

Phillip LA   Osborn