Author Topic: Chevy Timing help  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Msafi65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: Chevy Timing help
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »
Wow your making me reach back a bit. Had a lot of trouble with the two wires coming from the pickup coil to module cracking and going open momentarily when vacuum advance pulled in. I’ll think on it

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
Ok FIRST THING ! You said you put a NEW carb on and the distributer is set up for Vac . Make sure the hose going to the advance has NO Vac at Idle !!
See it all the time
. It should NOT get Vac till you open the carb. NO Vacume is applied when it is just running idle. This will pull the timing Wide Open and give you just the problem your having. If you have a timing light with a digital read out set you timing at 30 Degrees at 2800 RPM with the Vac UNHOOKED. Then lock the dist down and rehook the hose up. You should be good to go.
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline Dirtdobber

• 6x6'er
  • Dirtdobber
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
Put a timing light on it and make sure it's timed correctly to begin with.  Even if the advance isn't working, I would think the engine would still run decently, rather than knocking as you describe it.  If it is the timing advance, you may need to change to a mechanical advance distributor since you took all the smog junk off.....just a guess though.
Hustler 950, hustler 980 tall tub

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
probably has a rusted up vacuum advance. it should be hooked to vacuum..pull cap off and check and make sure the vacuum advance is not stuck. good luck popcorn
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
Chevy Timing help
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »
Hi All
I have some troubleshooting questions on a 1983 chevy pick up with a 350 that my nephew has

1. the truck sat for years not running before he bought it a little over a year ago.
2. he installed a rebuilt motorcraft carb from AutoZone.
3. I removed all the smog crap and plugged all the unused vacuum ports.

the engine starts fine and idles and actually sounds good, no knocking or ticking, as soon as there is any load on the engine it want to stall out and if I throttle it, it will spark knock BAD and sounds like the engine is coming un glued.

here is where I am week, (turbine engine are easier.....lol) I am assuming there is a timing advance issue causing this but do not know how to fix it.
1. there are wires going into the distributor, how does that advance the timing and how do I check if it.
2. how much vacuum is needed to the vacum port on the distributor
3. with a vacum port and wires how does the distributor advance the timing? I dont remember seeing any fly weights in it.

I hope you all can figure out what I am trying to say, and can point me/us in the right direction. it is a beater truck but he still wants to drive it...
thanks
Larry