Author Topic: 76 max ii project  (Read 13183 times)

Offline JonathanF101185

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
  • Jonathan's South Texas 6x6
Re: 76 max ii project
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »
It would be a little crude but you could essentially get two square pieces of polyurethane that cover the hole from each end and bolt them together on either side, putting marine sealant between and around each of them to seal the tub. Like I said, won’t look awesome but it would get the job done with no welding.  popcorn popcorn

Offline Delduck

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
Zylene and PL 5200 marine adhesive

Offline Jerseybigfoot

• 6x6'er
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 06:55:17 PM »
The trick with welding plastic is cutting the patch to the exact size with very little gap, similar to repairing a crack.  Also obtain a low wattage soldering iron or a hot tip plastic welder (hot air welder is different) the object is to stab the weld tip into the crack at 90 deg to the seam at overlapping intervals with a little practice it will look like fish scales.  try to go 80 pct through the plastic. best to do both the inside and outside.  if you want to smooth it out use a hot air welder or a wide flat tip on the iron.  if the plastic smokes the welder is too hot.  Sorry i dont have any photos but there are examples on youtube.

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 12:01:59 PM »
Not positive on how I wanna tackle this. My plastic welding is not up to par, I can fill holes but this is a little out of hand. Maybe better off sourcing a better tub? The black jack and mud flap isn't doing it for me. If I knew I could keep myself from trying it in water I'd let it ride but my campsite is right along the creek and I know I'm going to try and cross it and be playing in it.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 11:53:17 AM »
Chain rollers for my RR tensioner copies.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:55:09 AM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
Nothing major on the head just smoothed the inside radius and knocked the roughness off and gasket matched it all. I raised the exhaust ceiling very little but nothing crazy. Bulleted the valve guides to help smooth out the flow. All with a Dremel, it would have gone much faster with a die grinder and some nice tips but I work with what I have even though it takes quite a bit longer.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
A couple pictures of my rainy day progress.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »
iagree
Got to split the case to fix it
Good time to inspect everything:
 dance dance
  That's the plus to it I'll know exactly what I'm working with, the t20 is the only thing I haven't dug into since it seems to work both sides forward and reverse on the bench. My wife won't be very thrilled about the extra money but it's all part of restoring a machine. Heck even the brand new chonda is apart, port and polish head and going to add billet rod and stiffer valve springs, might even add a cam in the mix, cross that bridge when I get there.
Dan

Offline whipperag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 11:00:34 AM »
 iagree
Got to split the case to fix it
Good time to inspect everything:
 dance dance
Whipperag

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »
How bad is the leak ? It may be a small seeping from sitting ??
If you want to put new output seals in Yes you need to split the tranny. If your not up to it let me know and I can go through it for you at the shop.
  I didn't notice it til after I cleaned it and it sat leaning to that side.  It's enough it had a small puddle maybe soup can diameter since I cleaned it. I'm not sure how much it might leak after it's ran and fluid is warmed up though, hate to clean it all up and have it all nice and new to hog it up bc I didn't replace a seal. I'll already be making a mess with chain lube lol. I'm afraid to split it though bc I know how I am, that seal will end up being new bands and the whole shebang. Even though I'm on a tight budget I'm not afraid to spend extra to make it right. I don't need any breakdowns because I cut corners and got lazy, it's alot harder to crawl out of the woods than walk LMAO rofl
Dan

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »
How bad is the leak ? It may be a small seeping from sitting ??
If you want to put new output seals in Yes you need to split the tranny. If your not up to it let me know and I can go through it for you at the shop.
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 12:38:28 AM »
Found another issue I need to fix, the seal for my input shaft in my t20 is leaking, it was not noticeable while the tranny was covered in crud, after degreasing it sure is noticeble. How hard is this to fix? Will I need to split the t20 to do it? Thank you guys and gals for all the help, it is very much appreciated.
  I also did some useless waste of time work polishing my primary clutch cover, but it sure is purty whistling
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:43:35 AM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 02:29:13 PM »
Removal of the bronze bushings was fairly simple, I used an old 1/4" wood chisel and chipped them away, I think it would have been easier if I had the right end to use my slide hammer but oh well, better luck next time lol. Now for degreasing and paint prep on my axles. Woohoo banana dance
Dan

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 11:43:16 PM »
Chain stretch

I bought my O-Ring chain from MFG supply and after 37-40 hrs no stretch yet. my chain has a tensile strength of 9600 lbs if that means anything. very happy with it, and I am hard on my machine

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »
How fast and how much should I expect my chains to stretch initially? All brand new chain from Buffalo bearing. Not sure on brand but it says China on the box. I asked for good stuff and explained what I'm using it for and the guy said other 6x6ers use it and buy it with no complaints yet.
   I'm considering having 3/4" rod pressed into my hollow axles and plug welded, have many of you done this? Was it worth the effort?
   I'm also going to have the local welding shop bending me another set of frame rails to go with my bearing extensions to tie all axles together, even if I don't run tracks I think it will help because even though I'm not planning on constantly being hard on this machine I have a tendency to get a little rowdy now and then.
   I would like to have a plow and other attachments also, would it pose a problem to have my mounting tabs on the outer frame rails/extensions or should I just have a plate made to go along the tub and actual frame, or will the extensions be able to handle this? I plan on adapting a 50" or so mower deck to attach to these same points for mowing my campsite. Basically just 4 big castor's and a cradle I can adjust to whatever height then raise and lower with a winch, possibly a pull behind unit but I think front mount will be easier to control and be more precise with my mowing.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:40:16 AM by Dw89xj »
Dan