Author Topic: 76 max ii project  (Read 13254 times)

Offline Dw89xj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: 76 max ii project
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2018, 11:22:28 PM »
Well good and bad news, engine sounded great while I was breaking in the cam this morning. Bad news, the compression must be a bit high and my drive clutch spring must be too weak. Broke the starter off the block so now that will need welded and reinforced. The 94c clutch spit all but one pucks out and it is wedged in the clutch holding it so the belt is in high gear I guess it would be? The secondary clutch seemed to work fine until this happened.  I'm sure I'll have more than enough power but now I need to source a clutch or parts for this one.  I don't know whether to be mad that it's already broken and doesn't even have the tires on yet or be happy that my first go round it's very healthy. Oh well back to the drawing board.   whistling
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:46:58 PM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2018, 02:13:09 AM »
Three axles in, gonna have to modify chain tensioners. It's coming togerher banana dance banana dance banana O0
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2018, 01:29:22 AM »
Motor mount done and frame is in tub. If the rain gives me a break maybe I can get the axkes and chains on before the end of the weekend. Hoping I don't have to pull the engine to do the left rear axle, I must've put it on and off 20 times getting the belt lined up and making sure it was sitting how I liked. I wish I could've been flatter to the frame but now I have plenty of adjustability.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2018, 02:37:40 AM »
Nice work, glad it it coming together for you.
  Thank you, it's my first 6x6, besides this my only experience is an old fiberglass 6x6 lower we used to use at a hill we sled on when we were kids.
Dan

Offline rider

• 6x6'er
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 04:42:52 AM »
Nice work, glad it it coming together for you.

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Some shots of my chain tensioners and the transmission in. Had to pull the transmission to shim the left jackshaft so it lined up right with the sprocket again. I guess everything was adjusted to it being bent up and rusted out. Oh well a new start for this old machine, I can hardly wait to test it out.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »
The tractor supply bearings are not a triple sealed design, so this backup bearing is going on a front axle until it can be replaced with the right bearing. I checked every package and none said r3 but im getting pressed for time before we go on our trip up north so this will at least get me on the trails and around camp.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:31:44 PM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
I made a make shift clutch compressor from some 3/8" all thread a couple fender washers a pice of bent up flat bar and a couple nuts. I put the green spring in and clocked it 1/3 ofa turn. I hope this is pretty close to being right. dance
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:33:16 PM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2018, 10:09:41 PM »
My machine was originally two stroke, so it has a yellow spring in the driven clutch, I have a green one to put in, how much do I clock it? Or is it a trial and error deal? As always thank you.
EDIT*** I might be in the market for another driven clutch, this one has a couple cracks and is oblonged like someone pryed on it or beat on it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:42:24 AM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 03:39:52 PM »
My apologies, it is a duromax 18hp Honda knockoff. Model 192fe
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:03:02 PM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline roadrash

• 6x6'er
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »
DW. In reference to your charging question. I assume you have a Briggs with a 3 amp stator. One wire. You can hook it to the battery side of the starter solenoid and it will charge the battery. If you give me your model, type, and code off the engine I can give you stator alternatives that may work better than trying to adapt a GM alternator. Depending on your flywheel magnets you may be able to put up to a 14 amp regulated stator on it.

Offline Dirtdobber

• 6x6'er
  • Dirtdobber
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
Hey DW, glad you are making progress on your rebuild.  Regarding your question of how to hook up the charging wire, the answer depends on the engine type and charging configuration.  Briggs and Stratton has a number of different configurations.  For what its worth, I have attached (I think, if I can figure out how) a publication that will help identify the charging system of a Briggs engine.  If yours is not a Briggs, then disregard this useless message!!
Hustler 950, hustler 980 tall tub

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 04:59:24 AM »
I forgot to take pictures but my engine is back together. Vegas carts billet 4.510 rod, 35lb valve springs, champion shaft rockers, 1/4" chromemoly pushrods, and Vegas carts torque cam. Governor removed and low oil shut off removed and the holes tapped and plugged. Header and cone airfilter, now I need to source some jet drills to get it dialed in after it's broke in and installed.
   Does anyone know if tractor supply or Napa happen to have the tripple sealed  bearings? I ordered these last ones from Buffalo bearing but I'm hoping to have everything sitting in the tub before the end of the weekend instead of waiting on parts. Then I can move on to wiring.
   I have a gm alternator from one of my old trucks, does anyone know of an alternative to the Vegas carts pulley ($74.95 ouch) so I can use the alternator to keep my battery charged? It's not a big deal now but this winter I'm going to want that extra juice for lights and a winch. Also for the meantime, how do I wire up the 3 amp charge circuit to charge the battery? It's only one wire, I'm wondering if I can hook it straight to the battery or do I need a regulator of sorts? For the summer as long as I can keep the battery charged to start I'll be fine. I have a week long trip in northern Pennsylvania next month and am hoping to take my Max so I'm not just stuck at the cabin. I'm using a car battery, I'm sure I can get lots of starts out of it but better safe than sorry.
      And lastly for now, axles, I have the old hollow ones with bronze bushings, my middle axles have the sprocket bolt holes near the center while either end is about 4 and a half inches from the bushing end. I was going to have rods pressed in but it's 3 bolt axles with 5 lug adapters. I was looking on 6x6 parts and noticed that the upgraded solid with bushing axles only have the holes located for the axles on either end. Are the middle axles not an issue? I figured I will upgrade as I break/bend axles, because I can't hash out 145 a piece all at once at this point in time, but what about upgrades for the middle axles? Or do I have some kind of Frankenstein machine? ***Edit front axles not the middle, the middle and rear are in line the front axle holes are more toward the middle.
    Thank you all for the insight and help.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:17:43 AM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 11:21:30 PM »
New lesson today, don't paint your axles before they're installed. Had to do some rework sanding them back down to get the bearing to slide on, trashed a bearing in the process. Oh well better luck next time
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »
My badass son in law helping me on the first rail.
Dan