Author Topic: New to me 1995 Max 2  (Read 3600 times)

Offline rider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: New to me 1995 Max 2
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 06:12:49 PM »
Ok all, I’ve mounted the tracks and am pretty happy with them. However, I’m playing around with the twin stick transmission upgrade to upgrade and consistently have only one side of the tranny engaging in reverse. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Is the diamond shape shifter goin to where it should be?  Did it work before shifter upgrade?
Yes. The diamonds weren’t removed and it worked fine before I put in the twin stick upgrade.
I think I’ve had enough of this machine. The tracks won’t stay on no matter how I adjust the air pressure. I’m afraid I’m going to have to put her up for sale and get a side by side with tracks...it should be up in the classified section as soon as I can pics to upload from my phone.

Is it possible you just need to adjust the bands, perhaps with both sides driving you had enough drive to do it and now you don't. Springs on sticks make it harder to back up also as you are fighting the trans in brake position.

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 01:18:14 PM »
If you are still having problems with one side of the transmission not going into reverse pull the diamond shifter for that side and see what the pin looks like.  If it is worn it may not be moving the shift collar far enough to engage reverse.  Did you change anything in the shift linkages when you made it a split shift?  Not sure about your tracks.  If you can post some pictures of the issues you are having we may be able to help you figure them out.  Hate to see you get rid of a great machine that may only need some minor repairs or adjustments.

Offline Jerc77

• 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 06:18:06 AM »
Ok all, I’ve mounted the tracks and am pretty happy with them. However, I’m playing around with the twin stick transmission upgrade to upgrade and consistently have only one side of the tranny engaging in reverse. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Is the diamond shape shifter goin to where it should be?  Did it work before shifter upgrade?
Yes. The diamonds weren’t removed and it worked fine before I put in the twin stick upgrade.
I think I’ve had enough of this machine. The tracks won’t stay on no matter how I adjust the air pressure. I’m afraid I’m going to have to put her up for sale and get a side by side with tracks...it should be up in the classified section as soon as I can pics to upload from my phone.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 11:04:19 AM »
When in Reverse BOTH side's of the tranny Should be locked it .
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline Phelpsy69er

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »
phelpsy69er

Offline Jerc77

• 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »

Offline Jerc77

• 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »
A shop would be great! I have a garage, but I can’t weld in there as my ‘66 Mustang “Louise” lives in there and I don’t want to hit her with a spark!
Today I finished th safari rack, then pulled it apart and I painted it. Now it’s remounted and happy.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »
Sounds like your moving rite along  banana
Keep us posted and sure hope you can get some pic's loaded up  whistling
All My machines are on the back burner rite now as I am trying to move into my OWN Place  banana banana banana
But I still need to get some other guys up and running so looks like I am going to have to Stretch my self out the best I can  whistling
Can't wait to have my own place with a small shop there to tinker with my machines instead of having to go to the shop all weekend ! But its a waiting game at this point  kik
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline Jerc77

• 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 10:17:49 PM »
Well, I’m not smart enough to upload pics from my phone...but today she got a new headlight, tail light, twin stick upgrade, and a heated throttle cable. I put the winch on a few weeks ago. Tomorrow I may mount the tracks and continue to work on the safari rack. Either that, or go fishing...we’ll see what happens.

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
  • Jonathan's South Texas 6x6
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »
Congrats man!  I just bought my 1997 Max II aka Toad not too long ago!  Tore it down 100%, cleaned it up, changed the bearings and belt, now its running like a dream!  Post pics when you get a chance! popcorn banana 

Offline Jerc77

• 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »
Max is getting a winch, twin stick conversion, heated throttle cable, new lights, and a safari rack-of sorts.

Offline Jerc77

• 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
Thanks guys. I’ll send some pics as I make changes. I’m in negotiations right now for some tracks. With the small hollow axles I’m sure I’ll get to know the machine more than I’d like.

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:00:02 AM »
 Welcome to the site. Enjoy your new Max!!

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:45:43 PM »
Congrates on your purchase, The best thing I did after owning my 2000 MAX II after a few years was tear it 100 percent down and rebuilt or replaced new everything. once you start tearing into it you will get to know your machine like the back of your hand and when a weird noise happens you will know where to go..Looking forward to the pictures and again welcome

Offline Jerc77

• 6x6'er
New to me 1995 Max 2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:21:53 PM »
So a couple of weekends ago I drove west to New York state and picked up a Max II with a 14 HP B&S in it. It ran like crap, but the steering and brakes were good. Has a chrome roll bar and a windshield and is 23 years newer than my Attex. So it would run as long as I held my hand over the choke. That tells me it’s probably getting air somewhere else or the carb is way out of tune. I pay the man and we load it up and bring it home. I started by tuning the carb, but like me, it can’t hold a tune. Once I get it running and warmed up (say 10 minutes) it just dies. Not like there’s a fuel blockage or a lean condition...like someone turned the key off. Died. Dead. I can only get it running by blocking all the air into the choke with my hand.
Jump to today. I put on a new carb from the 16 HP block, pulled the restrictors out of the exhaust manifold, new crank case breather too. I ordered a coil for one of the cylinders but I didn’t put that in today. Other than some throttle linkage adjustments, it seems to be very happy. The only things I found that were suspicious were the crank case had what appears to be broken clear plastic in it and was spewing oil straight into the throat of the carb-hence the new breather. The carb mid range jet wouldn’t come out, hence the new carb, plus I figured if I’m getting a new one, might as well ad a couple of HP to it too. When I pulled the intake off, I found the culprit-some sort of home made gasket that was torn.
So far, I’m happy with it. I ordered a heated throttle cable, winch plate, new headlight, tail light, and the twin shifters from Richard yesterday. Today I ordered a pipe bender, notcher, new welding helmet and some thin walled pipe to make some pseudo tube bumpers, sweeps, and safari rack to hold some gear. It won’t be a proper ROPS, but a chance to start to learn to fab and increase my welding skills. Before and after pics coming later-assuming it doesn’t look like hell when I’m done!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:26:15 PM by Jerc77 »