Author Topic: Winch vs block and tackle  (Read 1195 times)

Offline garretttpe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
Re: Winch vs block and tackle
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 06:30:05 AM »
Thanks Guys..
didn't think about a cleat, plywood and plastic, will do that for sure, the moose if we get one will be field dressed for sure, thanks for advice on tying feet to nose if head 1st..drive off and pull in is a good idea, maybe some real long stakes and driven into ground if in a field might help with that,

thanks all

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 02:05:09 PM »
A rope come a long with good rope will pull moose. Bulls drag better by hind legs if they haven’t been field dressed yet. If pulling forward use front legs and tie the nose to legs. This keeps head up and antlers back. Put a cleat on your ramp so it won’t slide on the tail gate. We have loaded buffalo on trailer with rope and a pulley. Tied off and drove away to pull in. Wasn’t pretty but worked , didn’t have a ramp.

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 07:30:37 AM »
Anything that gives you a mechanical advantage is going to be a big help.  Keep the 2x6's as long as possible or park in such a manner to keep the loading ramp from being a steep incline.  Use what you have if you already have a winch or block and tackle.  If you have both, take both.  You may want to put a sheet of plywood over the 2x6's so the moose can not fall between them and to help keep the 2x6's from moving, kicking out or even breaking if the majority of the weight ends up on one board.  Also put a screw or two in it to hold everything in place.  You can even put some heavy plastic on it to make the ramp a little slipperier so the moose slides easier.  I've never loaded a moose but I have seen too many people use a ramp setup that is far too flimsy and steep to work well and there is usually a funny home video moment when it doesn't.   twoCents
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:09:54 AM by ascaw »

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
Winch vs block and tackle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 02:49:58 AM »
Hi all
Got a question,  I am gone for a while as you all know, going home to Maine early Oct for the moose hunt,  another amish buddy got picked so I am his guide, I am not home to rig up a proper system to my F150 to pull a moose on it if we get on. I am thinking  maybe a hand winch or a block and tackle connected to a cable that is attached to the forward bed tie downs and some 2x6 as ramps.
The last 2 hunts when  my wife got her 2 I was not around and her sib had a trailer set up and 1 the amish pulled it up on a trailer, no option this year for that, any suggestions or thoughts