Author Topic: which clutch springs?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline snaps10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: which clutch springs?
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »
Email on the way. Did everything I could think, has to be a busted governor inside or something. Got the idle down to 1100 and it purrs, but still 3100 on the throttle.

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
Don’t have to take engine apart to bypass governor.  Send me an email at mark.2dmax@gmail.com and I’ll attach a file to print. Only have to drill one hole in the bell crank and rebend one rod.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »
The governor shaft doesn’t rotate much. At 3100rpm it will be a dog. I like mine without the governor and can’t over rev with a belt installed. All you have to add is a return spring

So how do you increase the throttle without turning the governor shaft?

I did print out some pages yesterday about different governor types on vanguards, but haven't had a chance to look at them well.  I'm all for removing the governor, do you have to crack the case, or can you do it with the engine in?  May have to wait for a while though, I'm changing careers at the beginning of january and will be away at training for almost a year.

maybe a mod wants to move this to 4-cycle area?

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 03:24:23 PM »
The governor shaft doesn’t rotate much. At 3100rpm it will be a dog. I like mine without the governor and can’t over rev with a belt installed. All you have to add is a return spring

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
Am I missing something on my governor adjustment?  I loosen the bolt, hold the throttle to full and attempt to turn the governor screw with a screwdriver, but it won’t move in either direction only has around 2 degrees and stops . Idle is right at the engine spec of 1350 now, if I hold it lower it surges so bad it won’t keep running.
I’ll order a new governor spring today.
Max rpm I’m getting now is 3100.  :'(

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 07:03:24 AM »
I have done what Msafi65 suggested 2 years ago and I am able to idle under 1k and rev to over 5k.. I also drilled my main jet out which was an improvement. I am sorry but I do not remember what size I drilled it but the folks here will help you get it going for sure

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 04:07:03 PM »
With the proper governor spring you will be able to get 4000rpm. Surge is usually governor adjusted wrong. The proper main spring is paint marked brown. Briggs part number 691507. If you have a red spring in your governor it will probably have to be tight enough to surge to get over 3500 rpm. That’s the spring I find on almost all the replacement engines I see.  Red spring in the driven will hold in low speed a bit longer for more low speed power.  If you want to bypas the governor send me an email and I’ll attach a drawing that you print and use as template. Try holding back on governor lever and see if you can set idle to less than 1000rpm. If you can the governor is set to tight. You have to get the idle down or the transmission takes a beating.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 01:43:47 PM »
Now I’m feeling dumb. Moved governor spring to the other home on the throttle plate. Idle sitting at 1300 now. Guess this came off a generator or something.
Surging though. I think I’m running rich, have a little carbon fouling on plugs.. Stupid California engines and fuel I’m assuming. Can I adjust the air fuel mixture on the Nikki carb?  I don’t see anywhere. Is it just through jetting?

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
I can get it down to around 14-1500 but thats as low as I can get it to idle, especially without surging.  Carb is so clean you could eat out of it.  Exhaust is new and no leaks.  Fresh high octane fuel.
Good compression.  The governor seems a bit wonky though.  I've tried adjusting it, and that screw doesn't move at all, in either direction.  That's where I'm assuming my issue is.
Drive clutch is engaging at around 1600, not 1700 that it said when I bought.  It's whatever the new model Comet replaced the 780 with.
engine maxes out at 3,400, I think I can go a little bit more on the max screw though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:01:20 PM by snaps10 »

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
The idle sounds like it is way too high.  If you can get the idle down to the point you do not grind them when changing gears that will be much better.  Also with the idle that high you would have to have the brakes on with it in gear (forward with sticks forward) to keep from moving.  It should idle in gear (forward with sticks forward) on flat level ground and not move.  Try adjusting the idle to 1400 rpm with a single carb and red spring.  That rpm number comes from the B&S manual that came with my 16hp Max II.

If it still grinds and/or moves at idle try lowering the idle rpm further.  You do not want the driven clutch to move at idle.  The drive clutch should stay all the way apart at idle.  Also make sure the clutches are aligned and the belt is straight and properly adjusted.

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 08:04:11 PM »
The idle sounds like it is way too high.  If you can get the idle down to the point you do not grind them when changing gears that will be much better.  Also with the idle that high you would have to have the brakes on with it in gear (forward with sticks forward) to keep from moving.  It should idle in gear (forward with sticks forward) on flat level ground and not move.  Try adjusting the idle to 1400 rpm with a single carb and red spring.  That rpm number comes from the B&S manual that came with my 16hp Max II.
iagree, my 18hp idles around 800rpm with no issues and I have the red spring

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:35:21 PM »

Offline Phelpsy69er

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »
Why is the idle so high???
phelpsy69er

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
which clutch springs?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »
I've got the 16hp running well, idling at 1680-1700 though, which is where my clutch engages.  What springs would you recommend for the driven?  My "grind em til ya find em" days ended a long time ago.