Author Topic: Towing with the max2  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Msafi65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: Towing with the max2
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
Yep that’s pretty close to mine also. Keep the ball below the axles or it will try to flip over pulling a very heavy load.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 05:49:36 PM »

This is what I did for a receiver.

I assume you did triangular gussets and just welded them in?

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
I used to add gussets on the outside of the hitches before delivering a new vehicle.  MaxII inner hitch is stronger than the other models. I added gussets inside on my 2 and have a receiver type hitch designed for it.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
Towing with the max2
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
One of the reasons I got the max was to tow vineyard trailers. We have one section of trees that requires a sharp turn and the steering axles on the trailers combined with long tongues and the skid steer means I can turn in one row width.

I got a free harbor freight 8’ trailer from a buddy the other day for yard chores so I welded a receiver to the hitch to easily switch from ball to Ag hitch and everything in between. The little trailer works great for brush, but yesterday I put about 500# of DG in it and the max2 hitch bent like it was wet spaghetti. Granted, my ranch guy did load it pretty tongue heavy. I never realized that while the hitch bracket innthese are very well integrated to the frame, the actual plate that ties the hitch to the bracket is a simple 1-4” bent plate. Has anyone reinforced theirs to allow for a reasonable amount of tongue weight. You definitely couldn’t get 10-15% of the towing capacity on the tongue with how it is.

I won’t load the tongue up super heavy ever, and most of our trailers are tandem axles or steering, but I don’t want to jack it up if something accidentally happens either.