6x6 Technical Questions > Engine 2 cycle

CCW 340

(1/2) > >>

joemeg:
 I'm learning. Now just need to learn to watch some video's on youtube before exhibiting my ignorance by asking stupid questions. LOL!!! 
There's a fellow close by that does Cycles and Sleds. I'm going to give him a call later today.
The "Truing" process via BFH looks like a very exacting science!!  LOL!!!

wedge:
I have rebuilt cranks & rods for my Bike engines and you need a Good set of V Blocks and Dial ind.
I used My Lath and that made it a lot easier !

Jerseybigfoot:
Joe there are some vids on Youtube on taking a sled crank apart.  looks a PITA.

i have some old cranks around and might attempt it at some point.

joemeg:
 Thanks, Marc.
Yep,the seals between the crank throws. I'm very familiar with the design of 2 cycle engines, just never got into a multi cylinder unit. I understand the mechanics involved with a leakdown test and will probably preform one but, I'm sure the engine has been sitting unused long enough for the seals to deteriorate. Been tossing around in my head "Who installs/replaces these?" I know the factory initially but was wondering about rebuilds,etc. So....when ya see me headed to your camp with that cooler please be ready to explain to me just how we get this crankshaft separated to replace these bearings and seals dance

And thanks to everyone else for the help!!

Jerseybigfoot:

--- Quote from: joemeg on March 29, 2018, 07:48:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: George on March 28, 2018, 04:02:06 PM ---Hey Joe, I think the JLO 340s used the same bottom ends as the 400 and possibly 440s. You might be able to expand your search to include those engines.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, George! I see in the manual that the difference between the 340 and 400 cc engines is the bore so the cranks are identical. CCW and JLO are interchangeable?

--- End quote ---
Joe the CCW does not have any common parts with the JLO, Japan vs German.
there are 2 inner shaft seals between cylinders. you may be able to determine their condition when you split the case and remove the crank or you can do a leak test by plugging the intake and exhaust ports of one jug and putting 10 psi in through the spark plug opening. Put the crank at BDC.  The crank has to be disassembled to install the seals. Probably left to a sled engine expert.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with 6x6Talk Forum. To register, please click here...
Go to full version