Author Topic: Throttle: twist grip or thumb?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
Re: Throttle: twist grip or thumb?
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
I got 90% of my chain on e,bay. I ONLY use Tsubaki chain. It is Very costly but if you look on and keep an eye out on there you can get a good deal on it there.
I got All my #40,50 & 60 on there for my StarCraft for less than $150.
Like Johnny Cash ONE BOX AT A TIME  banana
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline lislandjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »
I really really wish I could answer that Wedge.  Unfortunately I break a chain EVERY TIME I take it out.  4 minutes of riding followed by 26 minutes of repairing a chain.  By then play time is over and it is back to work.  The chain I broke yesterday broke next to the master link in a way that I can't put another master next to it.  Chain is probably all original and 50 years old.  Time to order all new chain.  My calculations say 26 feet should cover all 6 pieces.

What little riding I have done, I love the pedal.  My twist throttle was messed up anyway.  I did it more for my kids.  I did not want one of my kids to have to quickly turn to avoid hitting a car in the driveway, or a tree, or another kid, and in the process of jerking the lever hard to steer....going full throttle too.  My hull has several holes already....so making a few more that I sealed up anyway was not a big deal.  Pedal was $15 100" cable was $8 and mounting was easy and is in a great spot.     

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »
I like that set up  ;)
But how dose it work when your getting Bounced around  whistling
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
Foot throttle!!!

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
Before you start your build you may want to find an Argo that is not running or possibly a basket case.  One with a good tub and body but needs help mechanically.  You are looking at some heavy modifications and you can use that Argo as your build so you can keep using the current one during the build.  You have thrown out several ideas for your build that will take quite awhile to complete.  This way if an idea doesn't work or needs to be changed you can do it at your leisure.  If for some reason the project is started but cannot be completed you still have your original one to use.  This way the worse case is you end up with a lot or spare parts to use or sell.  The best case is you end up with the machine you see in your minds eye and the first machine that you can keep or sell.  I know you want to keep cost down but this may be a good way to go.  Just something for you to think about and possibly consider.

Good thoughts, except older Argo's are like hens teeth around here. When one does pop up, they're beat near to death and they ask waaaay too much. Only 6 one the local buy and sell here right now province wide and nothing older than a 2001 at $8,000....

I'm retiring soon so the Argo project doesn't need to be rushed.

I'm not a hunter or anything, it's mostly just for the occasional fun blast and to use with ground search once I retire and have time for that. So no worries if it's laid up for a long time.

Mine is a little "messed" up right now anyways (chains, bearings, etc) so I'm not using it that much as it is. If I'm changing all that "maintenance stuff" just to make it serviceable stock unit; then making a frame, using different bearings, engine swap, etc (IE: doing it all at once) only makes sense to me. Both from a work load and economic stand point.

:)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:45:52 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »
Before you start your build you may want to find an Argo that is not running or possibly a basket case.  One with a good tub and body but needs help mechanically.  You are looking at some heavy modifications and you can use that Argo as your build so you can keep using the current one during the build.  You have thrown out several ideas for your build that will take quite awhile to complete.  This way if an idea doesn't work or needs to be changed you can do it at your leisure.  If for some reason the project is started but cannot be completed you still have your original one to use.  This way the worse case is you end up with a lot or spare parts to use or sell.  The best case is you end up with the machine you see in your minds eye and the first machine that you can keep or sell.  I know you want to keep cost down but this may be a good way to go.  Just something for you to think about and possibly consider.

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
Use what you are comfortable with.  This is a special build for you so it should what you want.  A problem I see with the thumb throttle is your thumb.  Do you have arthritis?  Could you get it in the future?  Do you have any thumb injury?  If so the thumb throttle may become too hard to use.  I'm sure there are potential twist throttle issues also but because this is a special build, design it and build it how you want it to be as you will be the operator.

Interesting considerations.

No arthritis, but I do have a lingering problem in my RH wrist from a break at work that causes my hand to go "pins and needles" after riding my bikes for about 10 mins with the twist throttle. Hadn't thought about that. Its the gripping action. Not sure if a thumb throttle would do the same thing.

Thumb issues would mainly be it would be sore and be tired on a long ride I would think.

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
Use what you are comfortable with.  This is a special build for you so it should what you want.  A problem I see with the thumb throttle is your thumb.  Do you have arthritis?  Could you get it in the future?  Do you have any thumb injury?  If so the thumb throttle may become too hard to use.  I'm sure there are potential twist throttle issues also but because this is a special build, design it and build it how you want it to be as you will be the operator.

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
Throttle: twist grip or thumb?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »
So I'm still planning out my Honda 750 interceptor engine swap into my 85 Argo 8x8. Still in the planning stages as we are moving to a new house Mar 2018 and most likely won't be able to start any part of the Argo project (ie: springer, cage, engine, etc) before next winter at the earliest. But at least that gives me lots of time to plan it out and think about anything I might want to change before cutting steel/AL or striking arc. Well worth the wait, the new house has lots of shop space to play in:

24x24 detached, 28 (deep) x24 (wide) attached. The attached garage isn't the full length of the house. That part is 59 feet long and there's living space in the back. House and detached are both on slabs and the attached has in-floor heat like the rest of the house! MMMMmmmm! Good for my creaky old bones come winter!

I'm going to chuck in the back view just because I can't wait to move in:

That "blue ribbon" is actually the Cornwallis river. The rendering is limited by the program I used. Trout, salmon, etc.....right off the banks of my own property.

:)

Although, not super sure I'd eat something oout of the Cornwallis river. Some do I think, just not sure if I woudl....

Anyways, on to the question:

I'm a "twist grip guy" having primarily come from motorcycles. My Argo is also a twist grip.

But nearly every ATV out there seems to come factory with a thumb throttle (SxS's excluded). I actually have a spare one from the Honda Foreman lying around and it's in good shape and looks to be that it would hook up just fine to the V4's carbs.

I've ridden quads and the thumb throttle isn't a big hassle to use, just different.

Any opinions on which to use? Twist or thumb?

I know which way I'm leaning, but I don't want to say yet and possibly introduce bias to the replies.

I know it's a "hot topic" on ATV boards (twist vs thumb), but it shouldn't be here. I'm just looking for pros and cons anyone may see on using either style of throttle in the Argo.

To refresh how the controls are going to be laid out:

Still skid steer, two levers. Clutch on the LH lever. Throttle on the RH lever. Standard high/Low/Reverse Argo shifter in dash. V4 transmission shifiter is going to be foot pedal, like a "heel toe" shifter on a motorcycle.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:28:54 PM by SARgo1 »