Author Topic: 980 Bigfoot  (Read 3525 times)

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
Re: 980 Bigfoot
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »
Sounds like you are making decent progress.  When you get a chance post a couple of pictures of it.

Offline Dw89xj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2020, 06:18:37 AM »
So I did end up getting a Kohler 27hp with a broken cam and crank gear, I guess this is a common problem because the crank gear being powdered metal. But several hundred dollars later and I should be making good reliable hp and big torque. Midwest super cub, who have excellent customer service I might add, Zach Kerber machine and design and Lakota racing have been a big help in the parts department. I got my sprockets and axles all sorted out and in order finally, built my transmission braces, and made my own chain tensioners, I've went off track pretty hard with staying as original as possible but the end result should be much better than the original. I'm going with snap idles tensioners in the front since there is enough room to do so and since I ordered the click style I can just lift the floor out and squeeze it tighter if I need.
I went with 530 chain which required some clearanceing of the original t20 mount under the chain adjuster on the right side. I have a set of smaller main drive sprockets from a regular tub 980, I cannot decide if I should just run them or if I should use the big pizza pans. I think the small sprockets are 31 tooth and the big ones are 41if I remember right. How much of a speed increase should I see with a ten tooth difference? 
Also are the t20 chain adjusters problematic too or just the drive chain adjusters? I have the drive chain adjusters dealt with but if there's an issue with the t20 chains adjusters now's the easiest time to take care of it, they seem alright to me, I replaced the idler sprockets but otherwise they seem simple and solid.
  I'm at the point it would be real easy to start cobbling to get done, but since I'm waiting in engine parts, I'm just taking my time and trying to take care of any possible issues.
  I need to get a 1 1/8"  clutch, not sure which to go with 1195 or 94c they seem to be the most readily available. I haven't checked to see what cvtech has yet. I haven't been around long enough to know any other good clutch options or companies.
I'm still chipping away just taking my time and double triple checking everything trying to do it right once. I'm sure there will still be adjustments and redesigning after it's together but I'm trying to make it minimal. But otherwise I should have it trail worthy in the next couple weeks, then hopefully my wife's 960 will just need the chains, shift linkage and 4 stroke swap done, along with rebuilding and performance goodies on her vanguard, billet rods rev kit cam, and some porting and polishing.
Rifle seasons coming fast and I hope I can get any bugs worked out on both machines before then.

Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 09:55:59 PM »
Time to paint mount trans and start stabbing axles. A couple holes and cuts for my shift linkage and it's almost time to party. banana dance banana I keep coming across ads for 27hp kohler's and am thinking of getting one to put on the back burner. In the meantime I'm thinking just a quick and dirty reseal and freshening of the opposed Briggs just to be able to use it until the Kohler gets built. I decided my wife's getting the 18 horse vanguard and I think the 27 horse Kohler will give me enough power to gear a little higher so I can hang with my wife on the straights but still plenty of down low grunt for putting along on trails. A quick look at midwest super cubs sight says you can get pretty wild with with a Kohler v. I'm more about reliability but any power increase is always welcome I was just thinking billet rods cam and supporting mods.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 10:01:22 AM »
Split shift idea
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »
Congrats on the new welder.   banana

Thank you very much it's been a long time coming. I think my wife got tired of going to my buddies when I needed to weld something since my old welder burnt up
Dan

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »
Congrats on the new welder.   banana

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 11:35:46 AM »
For some reason my wife likes me enough that she bought me a small shed and a new welder. Now I don't have to make a dozen trips to get all the tools I need and I can weld again. I can't believe I used a HF Chicago welder for over ten years after using this new welder. My sprocket tubes are all repaired. Now to finish my shifter setup and finish weld the frame and this party will really be rolling. Sure beats loading all this heavy shit up and going To my buddies to use his welder Everytime I need to weld, it's a good reason to hang out but it kills my back and is a pain in the rear loading this stuff from a wheelchair trying to wrestle it around and drive. More progress to come soon....
Edit the first couple welds looked like bird poop rofl
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 08:33:36 PM »
I still have the factory shifter, tower, and linkage bar if anyone is in need it's all in decent shape.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 08:24:02 PM »
Pics of redesigned shifter setup so it's beside my leg instead of jamming into the back of it. And a couple shots of where I need to finish/fill in/ brace up etc. I'm trying to only put it in the tub one more time lol, we will see how that pans out.... whistling
Dan

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 12:36:55 PM »
experience comes from screwing up, thanks for sharing

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 10:29:01 PM »
That's what I was thinking, hopefully it will help someone in the future to avoid making that same mistake. Although if I hear of someone else doing this I will get a small chuckle lol.
Dan

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 07:21:39 PM »
Your agony is now a learning experience for everyone.  Thanks for being open about the mistake and sharing.

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 03:53:01 PM »
I had to laugh at myself, I wish I had taken a picture before I split the halves again, then I thought "ya know what?", I bet the 6x6 guys would get a kick out of this lol.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:26:00 PM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
That stinks. :-[  At least you found it before fully assembling it. :)  I bet that is a mistake you will never make again.  whistling

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 02:38:12 PM »
I put the input in the wrong side when I assembled and didn't notice til I was taking measurements to make extra braces to to keep the transmission from walking out of the slots. Luckily I didn't have any bolts in yet and just had a screw driver to keep the halves lined up since I'm buying new bolts because most of the original are MIA. That's what I get for not paying better attention.
Dan