Author Topic: argo FD620D engine issues  (Read 1712 times)

Offline tjscott3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New 6x6'er
Re: argo FD620D engine issues
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »
yeah its a 620cc V twin. the two ignition coils look identical to motorcycle coils and bolt directly to the head of the engine so will be seeing some serious heat once the engines up to temp.
ill give the tester a shot in the next couple of days

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 01:13:06 PM »
I Suppose its a twin cylinder right ?. I am not sure the make up of that engine but if it has an external bolt on coil then a motorcycle one should work. try using a spark tester in line of the coil wire or wires and see if it looses spark or intensity when hot.
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline tjscott3

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 08:31:53 AM »
ive checked the cap and were all good there. fuel is definitely reaching the end of the hose. the engines liquid cooled so no tins around it like on the older koehler engines. ill have a go at checking the spark when its hot, it was okay for about half an hour of intermittent driving yesterday before it was acting up again. the coils are seeming a bit awkward to get ahold of in the UK. but ive got a few good coils off of motorbikes around. i dont suppose anyone would know if these would work okay?

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »
make sure your gas cap is not plugged causing fuel to not flow, 101 . then try checking that spark when its hot. may need a stater & or coils.
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
I think I replied to your question on the other site. But if pull your engine tins to be sure there's no mice nests or blockages otherwise restricting air flow if that's all clear I'd move on to the coil. I might be wrong but you verified it runs until it gets hot then possibly gets vapor lock or the coil quits
Dan

Offline tjscott3

• New 6x6'er
argo FD620D engine issues
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 06:59:44 PM »
Hi, been a while since i have needed the infinite wisdom of the forums and i see things have changed a bit, hoping the new forum is as helpful as the old one!

my argo has been running fine for years now and has been kept serviced. however, recently it has been acting up. when cold it will start up and i can drive it around as normal with its usual power until the engine heats up and then the engine will intermittently splutter/misfire, this will happen more and more with the engine stalling out when under load ( mostly when steering )  until it wont start. its acting as though its not getting fuel. however i have cleaned the carb out a few times. done the jets with compressed air and changed the spark plugs all with no effect. the carb is definitely getting plenty of fuel, the float bowl is always full. im running out of ideas on stuff to test here. any ideas?