Author Topic: Axle shafts?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Dw89xj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: Axle shafts?
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 11:42:39 PM »
That's pretty cool im a big fan of using what you can. This seems like it may be worthwhile if you don't mind spending the time waiting to find deals and source out the shafts.  I would think they'd handle impacts pretty well, maybe not but I'd imigine you could get 1 or 2 good hits from them.  This may be a good cheap upgrade for guys with access to the tooling to do it.  This gets the gears turning, if you didn't mind the weight you could incorporate the axle tube so there's still a bearing at the wheel end, I bet that would be near bullet proof of these machines.
Dan

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:12:28 PM »
believe it or not it was a integral drive shaft out of an old model T . the shaft was just over an inch so it didn't take that long to cut down and mill it for a keyway. my uncle had a wrecking yard back in the day and they had a crap load of then. most were made into digging bars. found a good one to work with did her up. 8)
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:46:29 PM »
Have done it for an old off road mini buggy back in the day. I used a shaft that was spring steel and turned it down to 1" . it really flexed a lot but never broke. I had the longest lasting buggy around because everybody gave up changing their bent axles. ahhh the good old days.
  Did you use s car or truck shaft and have it turned down? Or did you go with a fresh piece of spring steel?
Dan

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »
Have done it for an old off road mini buggy back in the day. I used a shaft that was spring steel and turned it down to 1" . it really flexed a lot but never broke. I had the longest lasting buggy around because everybody gave up changing their bent axles. ahhh the good old days.
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
Axle shafts?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:00:21 AM »
  Has anyone tried using an automotive axle as an upgrade? Say having a d60 shaft turned down to 1 1/4" and cut to the correct length, then drilled for your sprocket? I know this may not be cost effective for some but what if you have access to a lathe or have a friend that can do it cheap or free? I would think this would be a huge improvement over the older hollow axles. Scrounging junkyards or Craig's list I'm sure there are plenty of semi floating d60 rear ends with bad ring gear or pinion or other damage in the diff that you could score 6 axleshafts for a little of nothing, ford vans especially, I know alot of those had SF d60 rear and there are alot of them in the local pick a part yards. Or would it be a aste? Seems to me it would be cheaper than buying 6 upgraded axles and all the hardware maybe not, anybody else have thoughts on this or have considered this? I'm pretty tight so I'm always trying to find a cheaper way and I like doing as much as I can myself. If I can build it just as good or better for cheaper, why not?
Dan