Author Topic: How Can We Increase Sport Participation?  (Read 3861 times)

Offline George

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
Re: How Can We Increase Sport Participation?
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »
Looks like the ride at AAOA is on.

On November 3rd, the City of Shamokin will let riders from the ATV park use designated routes to visit shops and restaurants in town.
They've posted that drivers must have a license to drive. There's some debate about whether having your ATV registered and insured is also nexessary.

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »
OH SNAPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the Old Tower City location !!!! That's where Joe Mohen and I use to go when we met back in the day  whistling
I was saying before we need to get our machines up to that place as it is Great trails for them and People Love them up there  :D
I am Good to go to this deal ! Who is with me ????? kik kik kik
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 07:28:34 PM »
Where in PA is this Place ? I would be all in for this ride for sure !

Offline George

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
OK guys, put your money where your mouth is.

This is quite a bit closer for a lot of us than Ashtabula and Busco.

Showing up at an ATV event like this could really get us some exposure. Besides, it's not very often we get to drive right down Main Street.

http://www.dailyitem.com/news/off-roading-in-shamokin-aoaa-city-to-let-riders-on/article_ff4ba4d4-c81f-11e8-a0c7-9fb819615f62.html

Offline Jerseybigfoot

• 6x6'er
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 07:28:50 AM »
I wouldn't want to see any head to head racing on the track without all the safety gear.  I would think a timed event may be acceptable or a shorter track set up in the field to keep the speeds down. A roll over without a shoulder harness and even with roll cage could be serious.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »
Ok, I'm sure all help is appreciated. One of the other reasons other than competition the racers are seeking more participants may be to put the machines in more mainstream venues to also attract more trail riders thus growing popularity.
iagree kik

Offline rider

• 6x6'er
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »
Ok, I'm sure all help is appreciated. One of the other reasons other than competition the racers are seeking more participants may be to put the machines in more mainstream venues to also attract more trail riders thus growing popularity.

Offline Egoperf

• 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »
I talked to  g about  this  today and  we are  working on  trying  this  out for the  October event.

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 05:46:34 PM »
Rider, I thought about that when I made the post.  I agree that having chest/shoulder restraints is a good idea.  The reason I stated a lap belt minimum is because quite a few trail machines already have minimal ROPS and a lap belt.  The only item needed would be a helmet which is required for the harescramble.  The reasoning behind my suggestion is to try to get as many non racers on the track without having to change or modify their machines.  I thought this may be the easiest way to possibly get new people interested in racing a 6x6 on the NE-EDT circuit.  I would also suggest that if racing trail machines became a reality that there be no awards and stress to the drivers that the race is exhibition only.  The size of the engines could also be limited to help keep speeds down for safety.  A machine with 30 or more HP (just a random HP number I chose) may be a bit too fast for racing without all the proper ROPS, belts and other safety equipment.  Just trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to try and increase the number of drivers interested in building or buying a race machine and joining the NE-EDT circuit while at the same time still being safe about it.  I know the racers would like more participation and all I am doing is making suggestions to try and help them.   twoCents

Offline rider

• 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
The racers would like to increase the number of participants at the NE-EDT events.  Here is something to consider for the spring and/or fall events at Pine Lake (our 6x6 events).  Have a couple of race classes that are trail machines.  A lower horsepower class (18 HP and under) and a higher HP class (above 18 HP) or something like that.  Still require lap seat belts, helmets and a minimal stock roll bar.  Although this will not pass NE-EDT safety, the racing bug may just bite some of the trail riders and they may convert their machine to a racer, build a race machine or buy a race machine and join the circuit.  This is just a suggestion to try to increase participation.  I know the safety of the machine is not up to NE-EDT race standards but a lot of trail machines have run the harescramble and some of us run the trails from time to time like we are racing.  This may be a way to get an idea of how much racing interest there is among the trail riding folks before trying to create a new class for the NE-EDT circuit.  Again this is just a suggestion.  Any other thoughts and/or ideas about this?

That would probably work some, i would suggest some sort of shoulder/chest restaint though as jerseybigfoot found faceplants hurt. I have rung my bell on the front bar of the IV Buff style cage myself in the hare scramble.

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »
 iagree
Being able to just race with my basically stock Max would be cool

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »
That a Good Idea Ascaw !

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 05:55:46 PM »
The racers would like to increase the number of participants at the NE-EDT events.  Here is something to consider for the spring and/or fall events at Pine Lake (our 6x6 events).  Have a couple of race classes that are trail machines.  A lower horsepower class (18 HP and under) and a higher HP class (above 18 HP) or something like that.  Still require lap seat belts, helmets and a minimal stock roll bar.  Although this will not pass NE-EDT safety, the racing bug may just bite some of the trail riders and they may convert their machine to a racer, build a race machine or buy a race machine and join the circuit.  This is just a suggestion to try to increase participation.  I know the safety of the machine is not up to NE-EDT race standards but a lot of trail machines have run the harescramble and some of us run the trails from time to time like we are racing.  This may be a way to get an idea of how much racing interest there is among the trail riding folks before trying to create a new class for the NE-EDT circuit.  Again this is just a suggestion.  Any other thoughts and/or ideas about this?

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 02:46:24 PM »
Not sure how it works in the US but in Ontario Canada we have some ATV trails, usually the same the the snowmobile trails for winter.
Unfortunately our stupid governments will not allow AATV's to be used on the ATV trails.
If that was to change I am sure their usage would increase.
The governments are even now allowing ATV's to be driven on roadways under certain conditions but they continue to ignore the AATV's
 Take 4 of your tires off  hilarious

Offline Craig_B

• 6x6'er
  • 1983 Argo TB 8X8 and a 1963 Pengor Penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »
Not sure how it works in the US but in Ontario Canada we have some ATV trails, usually the same the the snowmobile trails for winter.
Unfortunately our stupid governments will not allow AATV's to be used on the ATV trails.
If that was to change I am sure their usage would increase.
The governments are even now allowing ATV's to be driven on roadways under certain conditions but they continue to ignore the AATV's