Author Topic: New to this site and 6x6's in general  (Read 2297 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
Re: New to this site and 6x6's in general
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 11:13:37 AM »
Sounds like a great find for sure . If you get a chance Post pics as we all love to see these machine come to life  popcorn
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline Curtisfirefrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
Hi, I recently purchased a 1968 ARGO with a Koehler twin.From what I can tell It’s one of the first ARGOs. The plate on the fire wall has an OMG ser no of 4***., and old painted over Eddie spade racing stickers. I bought it from an old guy that found it on the back of some property he purchased some time ago.He worked on it,(getting axles freed up, 5 of the tires hold air,I am almost finished repairing engine, freed up handle bar assembly,and getting ready for other repaired)This old relic from the past is stinking cool, and I look forward to getting it going and possibly removing paint from stickers so it could look like it did 50 years ago.any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:47:49 PM by Curtisfirefrog »

Offline roadrash

• 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
Groovy. I got a better look today and found some grease fittings. That motor is totally in the way to service the primary drive chains. May put the thing on blocks and really go through it. Its just too much fun to take it out of commission right now.
 I am going to see if removing a link is acceptable.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 03:43:53 PM »
So Far Ascaw is SPOT ON  iagree
The adjusters Ride on Top and push Down. There are Grease fittings at Every bearing AND the adjusters should be shot with lube also. Dose the machine have Spline  axles or Pin ? You can look at the sprockets to find this out. I just finished a Max 4 for a customer not long ago and there a Pain to work on compared to a Max 2 ! But if you need help or parts let me know and I will do my best to help. But as Ascaw stated there are a Great group of people here to help !!
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
I have a Max II not a IV but I will give it a shot.

Chain tensioners are on the slack side of the chain when driven forward pushing the chain inward.  It will not change for reverse because the majority of driving is forward.  On a stock Max IV I believe that is on the top of the chain pushing down.  I don't know the number of links but if the chain is still too loose with the adjusters maxed out and the chain still sags then the chain is either too long or it has stretched.  Look the chain over real good to determine if it is still good.  If so find the master link, undo it, set the adjusters to minimum and put the chain on as if it is new.  If it wraps around and you have extra links remove them and reinstall the master link then set the tensioners.

Grease fittings should be on the bearings.  Remove the wheels to access the grease fittings for the outer bearings.

Maybe someone with more experience with a Max IV will chime in with some better info (and tell me I am wrong, LOL).  Hope this helps.  tp

Offline roadrash

• 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:09:45 AM »
Thanks Garret. From what
ive read it seems like a nice group of people.

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
LMAO

welcome to the site, the guys here are awesome

Offline roadrash

• 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »
Funny little story about one of my first experiences with this machine... Some of the tires kept going flat so I installed innertubes. In the process I noticed that all of the tires were mounted backwards, so I put the machine up on blocks and switched all the tires around being sure all the directional arrows were going the right direction. First test drive after adjusting the transmission and after switching around the tires I went out into the lake and... Couldn't go anywhere! I started to panic. lol. drifting along in the lake with no control. I should have brought a paddle.  Finally I got back to shore and out of the water and immediately switched all the tires back to going backwards. Wow, what a difference. It now drives and steers in water pretty darn good. lol

Offline roadrash

• 6x6'er
New to this site and 6x6's in general
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »
Hello folks. I'm new to this site. Of course I joined looking for some info...
 A buddy of mine recently purchased a used Max 4 6x6. Not sure of the year but its older. He brought it to me to check over.
 So far I have gotten the motor running properly and adjusted the transmission. The transmission doesn't seem to be 100% but is huge improvement over the way it was when I first got the machine. Ive also tested its water worthiness. All the axles have slight leaks and there is a small leak in the front left corner. Ive had it in the water for up to 20 minutes at a time without any concern of it becoming water logged but I'm thinking after 40 minutes in the water it may become an issue. I also need to get the headlights working and get power to the wench and see if it works.
 Which brings us to my current situation. Last night I removed all the floorboards and washed out the unit. The chains and channels were covered with mud and debris. After I got it clean I noticed a crack in the floor right in the center in the front that was hidden with the front cover. Ill need to put it back in the water and see if water is coming in there too.  So, I cleaned out the vehicle and lubed the chains. Now that I have a good view of the system it seems that the chains are extremely loose, the bottom of the chains are laying on the floor and the tops are laying on some cross member tubing. My buddy was told when he bought it that the chains were just replaced. so, Ive got to decide if the chains are new and just too long or are they old and need to be replaced and the seller wasn't honest.
 1) do the tensioner sprockets go under the chain and tension up? or ride on top of the chain and tension down? right now they are on top and adjusted all the way down but there is enough chain to put the sprocket underneath and tension up. Maybe chain is installed incorrectly?
 2) how many links should be in each chain? Maybe too long of a chain has been installed and I need to remove links?
 3) I haven't noticed any. Are there grease fittings anywhere?
 4) After I get the basic maintenance things addressed is there anything in particular that I should check that is commonly overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.