Author Topic: Attex Chain issues  (Read 1710 times)

Offline lislandjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: Attex Chain issues
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »
CVT?  Would that be the belt drive that tightens the belt down as the RPMs increase using centrifical Force?  It is still belt-driven using a centrifical clutch between the motor and the Apex gear box.  There is then a number 50 chain between the Apex gearbox output shaft and the axle that would have gone through the Baker Hill transmission. 

As much as everyone keeps on suggesting, and I understand why, I just don't have the $500 to drop on a new Baker Hill transmission. I'm trying really hard to get this going spending as little as possible.

Yes I'm originally from Long Island. Living in Southwest Virginia now.

Offline George

• Sr. 6x6'er
Re: Attex Chain issues
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »
I wonder if shock-load could be the issue. In its original state, the engine would power the BH directly through a CVT setup (like a snowmobile).

You might try removing the Apex tranny and trying to get it back to the CVT setup.

Are you from Long Island, Joe?

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
Attex Chain issues
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »
So the guy i got it from said it was sitting for years because he broke a chain and never bother to fix it.  Remember this is my botched up pre 1970 Attex ST300 with the JLO L297 jacked way up in the air with an Apex gearbox UNDER the motor and chain (#50) from the Apex to the Baker Hill axle.

I have finally got this motor running great.  EVERY TIME I take it out, I break a chain.  Everything is aligned.  Everything is clean and lubed.  I have yet to find any instruction on the proper way to set the tension sprockets...yet I think I got it right.  Could it just be that the chain could be almost 50 years old?  Does anyone have the exact length of the 6 pieces of chain for the pre 1970 Attex?

I am thinking I am going to just replace ALL the chain but before I go through that time and expense, I want to make sure that there is not something else that I am doing wrong.

Thanks and Happy New Year!