Author Topic: 440 Rupp Air Cool  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Model Citizen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
Re: 440 Rupp Air Cool
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »
For most people 25 -30 mph is all the adenalin they want or need. I just like a motor that when you start it, it usually starts right up & keeps running. Just my opinion, since I have experienced both.

Offline Don

• 6x6'er
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 09:07:44 PM »
Now, Bridget; I didn't say they were all slugs, but... stock, they're usually pretty slow. Now, if I had the money to buy one of the monster big blocks like you and Whipper run, and put that much into a big Yamaha two-stroke twin.... hate to think. I do run Bandolero in the Li'ltruck and it's fun and dependable, but just doesn't produce the adrenalin.

I'm not sure what the machines top out at, ascaw. There's a speed trap at the end of the strait at the Pine Lake but I've always been too busy to remember to look. Maybe someone will watch for me later in the month and I can get back to you.  ;D

Offline Model Citizen

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »
'Can't argue the fact that those garden tractor motors are more reliable than 2 strokes, but if I wanted to have a reliable transport and not much fun, I'd buy a quad.  :) Even at my advanced age, I still like to go fast, so: 2 strokes it is for me.  ;)

Awww, Don...you know all 4 strokes are not slugs. I spent many a date in the in laws garage while watching what's his name  tune a 2 stroke for a race and that wasn't much fun either.   hilarious In the desert we NEED a reliable ride. For all the off roading we have done, we have never been stuck out in the desert and we like to go both fast & slow. I liked my old 14hp even when it reliably backfired.  :-[ ;D

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
How fast are your 2-stokes Don?  Whippers 4-strokes do 50+ MPH.  My little 16 HP does 25 MPH and I can run it all day long having a blast and it is easy on gas.  Plus no mixing oil and gas.  I guess it depends what you like and what you are using it for.

Offline Don

• 6x6'er
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »
Not good enough motivation, junk that boat anchor. :)
Do you want to ride most of the time, or do you want to work on it all the time?
I'm sure your screaming neighbor is not going to be there to help you work on it. :))

'Can't argue the fact that those garden tractor motors are more reliable than 2 strokes, but if I wanted to have a reliable transport and not much fun, I'd buy a quad.  :) Even at my advanced age, I still like to go fast, so: 2 strokes it is for me.  ;)

Offline George

• Sr. 6x6'er

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
I Have a 16 hp Briggs at the shop that runs good but you will need to get a clutch. But you will need one anyway to switch over.
The Shipping will be the killer as I am in Lower PA.
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline Bob

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
I’m just looking to keep Attex as a cruiser and to do a little work around the yard. I have a customized off road 4 wheeled machine for when I get need for speed and recklessness. The kids are the ones talking me into keeping the Attex and not upgrading to a newer 6 wheeler. They love the fact that they saw me rebuild it from the ground up.

Offline Dozer

• 6x6'er
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
To my limmited knowledge richard offers new and used standard Vanguard set up for 6 wheelers not ones set up for high  performance.
It would be pretty easy to call them and ask? ;)  What are you looking for  as vanguard are all over the web.
The predator engine is a good option too, pretty cheap and most people are happy with them.

Offline Bob

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
Thanks to all for the reply’s. It’s a Xenoah and I know you can heli-coil the plug. I’m having a hard time finding a set of new gaskets. I live in Illinois and I like to ride the machine year round and the heat is what probably helped me kill the motor. Any thoughts on the Vangaurd motors Richardsrelics offers?

By the way, I all ready took the neighbor for that ride... It was awesome when I went right towards the retention pond and didn’t stop. I thought he was going to jump out of the machine.

Offline whipperag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
if you want to take your neighbor for a ride and make him scream like a little girl, build the Rupp.  :))

That is some pretty good motivation, Don.

Not good enough motivation, junk that boat anchor. :)
Do you want to ride most of the time, or do you want to work on it all the time?
I'm sure your screaming neighbor is not going to be there to help you work on it. :))
Whipperag

Offline nubs

• 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
between 3800 and 4800 $ . you need to call Al Hodge at performance v-twins. I think theirs another place called 600 racing their a little cheaper but that's what you get.

Had Al make some stroker rods for me a few yrs back, nice stuff. A few 600 engines have been on the bench here, one would be disapointed on just what is Not in inside.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:10:08 AM by nubs »

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 07:39:22 AM »
Going back to the first question: Rupp used a few different manufacturers to supply them with engines. Xenoah, Tohatsu, CCW, and some Kohlers. If it says Rupp on the engine it's probably either a Tohatsu or a Xenoah, either of which are well made engines. The plug holes can be heli-coiled if you pull the heads. If you want a trail machine or ride in really hot weather a lot, you're better off with a four-stroke, but if you want to take your neighbor for a ride and make him scream like a little girl, build the Rupp.  :))
iagree >:D
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline George

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 06:41:01 AM »
if you want to take your neighbor for a ride and make him scream like a little girl, build the Rupp.  :))

That is some pretty good motivation, Don.

Offline Don

• 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Going back to the first question: Rupp used a few different manufacturers to supply them with engines. Xenoah, Tohatsu, CCW, and some Kohlers. If it says Rupp on the engine it's probably either a Tohatsu or a Xenoah, either of which are well made engines. The plug holes can be heli-coiled if you pull the heads. If you want a trail machine or ride in really hot weather a lot, you're better off with a four-stroke, but if you want to take your neighbor for a ride and make him scream like a little girl, build the Rupp.  :))