Author Topic: What's the place to buy JLO parts?  (Read 6665 times)

Offline chrisgt500

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: What's the place to buy JLO parts?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »
I found a new Wiseco 2063ps piston and ring kit along with a used 2063p2 kit (.020 over) that was installed and tightened up once engine got hot, the piston was removed once the engine cooled and a 2063ps was put back in where it was. I also found a used jug. In the early '90's I bought out the last of Wiseco's stock of the 2063 pistons, Don just got 2 recently, these have been out of production since I bought them and these are the last 2 I have.
Also found a used 780 drive clutch from a 295,297,300 etc...

As far as your belt width, it is 15/16 to 1" depending on what you find, your new drive clutch is probably for a 1-3/16 belt, when we finally figured out my nephews issues we had to go with a 1" 780r from Vegas Carts as they had what we needed.

You can tell whether you have a Attex 297 or a 300 by whether it has square axles or not, 297's are square and all the other first gens are not.

I'm unexpectedly out of town for a few days and just have my phone, but mine has round 1"solid axles.
I used the original clutch. The generator shaft on the Honda has an inch or so that's 30mm so I turned it into a tapered for the 30mm Salisbury clutch. I resprung it for lower RPM and it seems fine, I just have a belt that's way too narrow. What's the original length of the belt? I guessed 1 inch or 15/16 for width, but can't find much that I think is going to be long enough. I'm thinking around 46 inches. I may just go with 1-3/16 and shim the secondary, I think I have a solution for that. Should net me some top end speed anyway.

Offline rider

• 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »
I found a new Wiseco 2063ps piston and ring kit along with a used 2063p2 kit (.020 over) that was installed and tightened up once engine got hot, the piston was removed once the engine cooled and a 2063ps was put back in where it was. I also found a used jug. In the early '90's I bought out the last of Wiseco's stock of the 2063 pistons, Don just got 2 recently, these have been out of production since I bought them and these are the last 2 I have.
Also found a used 780 drive clutch from a 295,297,300 etc...

As far as your belt width, it is 15/16 to 1" depending on what you find, your new drive clutch is probably for a 1-3/16 belt, when we finally figured out my nephews issues we had to go with a 1" 780r from Vegas Carts as they had what we needed.

You can tell whether you have a Attex 297 or a 300 by whether it has square axles or not, 297's are square and all the other first gens are not.

Offline chrisgt500

• 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
Well I stuffed the Honda GX390 in, kinda lackluster compared to a 2 stroke but it gets me back on the road. Still looking to rebuild the JLO, though.
Anyone know what the proper CVT belt for my attex is? The belt I have now is too narrow, I'd pick up both top end and bottom end with the correct one.

Hey, Chris;
Do you have a Wild Wolf or an ST295? I'm pretty sure the belts are different.

I googled both those models and I don't think mine is either. I have a 1969 model that doesn't have the flat black engine cover and it has a baker hill transmission. I think the model is just 297, but i'm not sure.
Here's a picture from when i first picked it up and it looked really sad

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:28:16 AM by chrisgt500 »

Offline Don

• 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 07:32:23 AM »
Well I stuffed the Honda GX390 in, kinda lackluster compared to a 2 stroke but it gets me back on the road. Still looking to rebuild the JLO, though.
Anyone know what the proper CVT belt for my attex is? The belt I have now is too narrow, I'd pick up both top end and bottom end with the correct one.

Hey, Chris;
Do you have a Wild Wolf or an ST295? I'm pretty sure the belts are different.

Offline chrisgt500

• 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »

Offline chrisgt500

• 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
I've been busy so this kinda hit the backburner. I couldn't quite get all the scoring and rust marks out of the cylinder with a hone, there's a bit of ring ridge at the top, and I was afraid to hone it too much. The result, I think, is I have low compression. The engine starts right up and idles amazing, but it doesn't have a ton of power and backfires out the carburetor. It's actually ok when it's cold, then as it warms up the power decreases and the RPM at which it backfires out the carb lowers. I'm fairly certain it isn't a timing or tuning issue, I've gone rich/lean, and advanced/retarded on the timing and nothing changes the backfiring out the carb.

I know it's bad to beat on a cold 2-stroke but if it's broken what am I gonna do, break it?. Once isn't gonna blow it up, and it was a good test. The fact that it makes more power and doesn't backfire out the carb when cold really leads me to believe it loses compression as it warms up. The piston was looser in the bore than I thought it should be, too. Oh it's also not the exhaust being too restricted, I removed the muffler and it exhibits the exact same issues with a straight pipe, albeit making a lot more noise.

Since it idles fine, what do you folks think? Overbore piston, have the cylinder bored out at an engine shop, and she'll be good to go?
When I had it apart I measured the piston and cylinder. I seem to recall the piston was around 74.5mm and the cylinder was a hair over 75mm.

rider, the piston in it now is a Mahle, if that matters. Do you also have rings? dexter2011 mentioned he may have rings, so it's possible I could piece something together.
Looking at ebay ads is really confusing, the same parts are listed as different overbores for different engines. It makes sense, just have no idea what I'd need.

Offline rider

• 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »
I may have 2 new wiseco pistons in the camper, ill check if wanted. They may be slight overbores.

Offline chrisgt500

• 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »
I think I can get away with the piston/jug off the parts engine. It appears to have sat with water in it for a long time, the bottom end is a ball of rust but the cylinder wall only has very light surface rust toward the bottom. It doesn't appear to go deep, it should clean up well and be perfect with a light hone. The rings grooves in the piston appear to be in good shape, the rings don't have excessive play, and the piston isn't scored. It might not be perfect, but should be pretty good.

So I'm thinking a gasket set, crank seals, and a set of rings should get me back on the road. Otherwise I have a honda GX390 and a 340cc rotax taking up space, I just don't feel like a fabrication project right now...

Offline Don

• 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 05:44:53 PM »
Manufacturer's Supply still carries the gasket/seal sets for most of the old 2-strokes, but they no longer have pistons if I remember rightly. Richard may have some of the parts you need but last I knew, he was low on vintage 2-stroke stuff as well.

Good Luck! I think I have an NOS jug/piston/ring set for a 295 if you find you need one.

Don

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 01:35:22 PM »
e.bay is really the only place I know of ? Check the sellers out as one or two of them may have there own Shop/Store ??
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline chrisgt500

• 6x6'er
What's the place to buy JLO parts?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
The piston failed on my L300 297cc motor, after careful analysis of the break, I'm pretty sure it was a casting issue, there was a hairline crack and it just fretted until a chunk broke off. Anyway, my parts motor has a serviceable piston, jug, and head. But I'm looking for the rest of the parts to rebuild. The engine only had a couple hours on an old rebuild, shame.

I need a full gasket set (6 bolt headgasket), crankcase seals, and piston rings. I've found parts on ebay, but was wondering if there was a better option.
I'm wondering if there's an online store I could order the parts from instead of 4 different ebay sellers, just hoping I get the correct parts.

Since it's a crime to talk about complete engine destruction without posting pictures...
Engine rich exhaust:

And.... There's your problem. Due to evidence of fretting on the surface and the fact that the first 1/4" or so of the break is clean, then jagged the rest of the way around, I'm pretty sure that's where the crack started. I should also note this happened at IDLE. I was idling back into my garage after a ride, opened the lid to adjust the low speed screw on the carb a bit, and then it made "a bad sound."
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:18:24 PM by chrisgt500 »