Author Topic: Patching the tub  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Jerry In Maine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: Patching the tub
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:30:32 AM »
thanks for the tip. I did buy black HDPE filler rods so hopefully they'll do the job.

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 10:00:22 AM »
Plastic weld is the way to go.

The only problem (compared to other plastic repairs) is the thickness of the argo tub. The plastic is so thick, it’s hard to get enough heat into it to weld reliably. And once you get enough heat into it, it takes a fairly long time for it too cool enough to where you can leave it unsupported (ie: won’t sag or move).

Certainly the best way to go, but it takes a fair bit of practice to get it to work the way you want.

When I modified mine for the front grill, I took scrap pieces and cut them into very thin strips. Then I used those as the filler rods for welding. That way, I didn’t have to worry about using the wrong filler rod with the tub.

Good luck welding ‘er back up.

:)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:02:40 AM by SARgo1 »

Offline Jerry In Maine

• 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:36:59 PM »
bought a welder set and watching how-to videos. looks pretty easy if you're careful.

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »
 Hey Jerry,
HDPE is wonderful stuff. However, nothing sticks to it, with the exception of a product made by West Marine that is somewhat labor intensive and time sensitive to apply. I wouldn't suggest using it. Plastic welding is the way to repair it. Harbor Freight sells a decent welder and with a little practice it can be done. The hardest part is getting the vehicle situated so the damage can easily be accessed to allow a through preparation and repair weld.

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 10:16:49 AM »
A lot of guys stop drill and/or plastic weld the cracks.  Others use Flex Seal or equivalent.

Offline Jerry In Maine

• 6x6'er
Patching the tub
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 06:14:54 PM »
The Vanguard I just bought has a few small cracks in the bottom. Is there a sealant that'll stick to the HDPE and give a reliable fix?

Thanks