Author Topic: 1995 Max IV Rebuild  (Read 6521 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
Re: 1995 Max IV Rebuild
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
Tires are not cheap and the thing here is you need 6 !
The Idea behind this tread pattern is to run them in Revers so thy CUP the ground under them and ride on top. This is good as these machines have a Low Bottom and High center easy. Also running them this way gives you more Water speed.
This is a case of Less is Better !!
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline AndyL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
    • Andrew Lapp - Concert Pianist
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 02:42:33 PM »
27" May fit but best to test 1 on it Before you Pay for 6 !!
Also that is the Best all around tire for these machines and will work on every type of riding you stated your doing.
I just redid a Max 4 like yours for a customer and will give you a Heads up. Check the chain adjuster sprocket Bearings !
Thy are Not serviceable and go bad but when in look ok !

Will do. Thanks a lot! I'll probably just stick to the same tire. I did find these though. Curious about your thoughts on them:

Deestone D405 (5/5 Star Rating) $67.99 each - https://simpletire.com/deestone-26-12.00-12-ds5252-tires?stmodel=d405
Greenball Dirt Devil (4/5 Star Rating) $68.93 each - https://simpletire.com/greenball-26-12.00-12-ar1202-tires

Other than that, this looks like an identical replacement - Deestone D408 for $81.99 (4/5 Stars) - https://simpletire.com/deestone-26-12.00-12-ds5324-tires

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
27" May fit but best to test 1 on it Before you Pay for 6 !!
Also that is the Best all around tire for these machines and will work on every type of riding you stated your doing.
I just redid a Max 4 like yours for a customer and will give you a Heads up. Check the chain adjuster sprocket Bearings !
Thy are Not serviceable and go bad but when in look ok !
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline AndyL

• 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »
looks good , sure is a lot of work huh.

It is a lot of work, but surprisingly it isn't at the same time. I used to tinker around with cars in high school (I had a '77 vette), so this is much simpler, and everything fits together better. I haven't done much mechanic-type work since then, which is about 10 years ago.

I'm going to need some new tires though. Is 26" the max that will fit on this machine, or is it possible to squeeze 27"? Are there other tread patterns that are better for machines like this rather than the Rawhide-type tread? I'll do a lot of trail riding and driving through brush, also through mud/swamp, and occasional open water like a lake, river, etc.

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »
Looks like you found a good solid machine that just needs some preventitive maintenance and a little refreshening.  Nice find.

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
looks good , sure is a lot of work huh.
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline AndyL

• 6x6'er
1995 Max IV Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:37:26 AM »

I found this 1995 Max IV on Craigslist a couple week ago in Arkansas, and it was delivered to me in Florida a few nights ago. It's a solid machine, but several little issues (2 broken chains, motor mount grommets disintegrated, and a few other things).

I decided to pull everything out and am spray painting the frame, control levers, lever rods, etc with Rustoleum Rust Reformer since it bonds to the rust and makes a solid finish. For the seat frames, I also painted with Rustoleum rubber spray paint coating on top of the Rust Reformer paint. Now it is very durable, and the metal is protected. I will also recover the seats and make new seats as the wood was rotted too. I'm not sure how far I'll take the rebuild, but at a very minimum, it'll be a nice, solid, reliable machine!
Ok, here are some pictures from before I received the Max all the way to tearing out everything inside.