Author Topic: Weird Engine issued  (Read 1699 times)

Offline garretttpe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
Re: Weird Engine issued
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »
WEDGE
I don't think that wire will shut it down or keep it from starting. But if you gas cap Vent is clogged ( that what it sounds like ) it will do just that. Go a little bit and stall / not start till you let it set .
Thinking more about this and I did remove the gas cap to look inside and it did start up and ran for a few, I installed the cap and found
the AFU wires on the regulator/coil system, prob just coincidence that it ran after that and figured it was the wires..if the black wire to the coil ground was not touching the red broke wire than most likely it was the gas cap as you mentioned. New regulator on its way from WFO. gonna play this weekend and see what happens..

Larry

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »
I might have one off an Al Hodge engine, give me some time and Ill look. no connector though. I don't use connectors for charging system or loads. Direct Connection. LOL
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
FIXED or at least figured out, the picture of the Regulator has exposed wires bad as you can see, the small area between the yellow wires is where the red wire from the battery goes to, As you can see that is broke at the regulator, in addition the plug for the red and black wire to the regulator is beat up pretty good and the black wire is connected to the ground stud for the coils. so I believe something in that system was grounding out causing the coil to be de energized, I was able to temporarily solder the red wire onto the regulator ( very primitively ) and was able to start, drive, charge, and shut down the engine, Now I need to get the parts

Does anyone have a voltage regulator and plug for a 18HP vanguard, Model 350447/1026-E1, 00022211, hate to spend 80-90 dollars for a new if someone here has a good on.

thanks
All

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:47:14 AM »
I don't think that wire will shut it down or keep it from starting. But if you gas cap Vent is clogged ( that what it sounds like ) it will do just that. Go a little bit and stall / not start till you let it set .
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
Weird Engine issued
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »
Will try to keep this short but prob wont be...LOL, OK installed new throttle cable ( works great) removed and cleaned carb in my ultrasonic cleaner, re installed everything and the machine started up perfectly and idled at 800 give or take 50 RPM, l let it idle for about 10 min than closed the top installed the seat and went for a drive, 100 feet later it died, would turn over but no start..checked to make sure fuel pump was working, it was, removed air cleaner and top of carb and fuel was in bowl, pulled jets all looked good, put back together and poof started up.. shut it off then would not start,,, im like WTF. I started looking at wires and when i slightly pulled on the red V regulator wire it cam out of the regulator, Now im like MMM, I figured why not try and start it and poof fired right up and ran great, No charging but ran great again..

Question is why would a broken/semi broken red regulator wire make the engine not start?? 2000 B&S 18hp Vanguard, model 350447 type 1026-E1 code 00022211

Now I am 2nd guessing myself, the wires on the voltage regulator are yellow and the wire/plug that is broke is red and black, gonna have to see for sure tomorrow what plug it is

Just found and posted the Briggs vanguard wire manual and WOW, good information, I should be able to easily identify and find my issue today.. will keep all posted
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:04:36 AM by garretttpe »