Author Topic: 16 hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Upgrades?  (Read 4130 times)

Offline snaps10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: 16 hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Upgrades?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
Well, after a long break of owning a 6x6, I finally purchased a Max IV yesterday! It has the original 16 hp B&S Vanguard V-twin in it, and I was wondering what kind of mods I can do to that engine. I know the 14hp uses the same block, and removing the little blocks in the exhaust manifold and replacing the carb bumps it to 16 hp, but since I already have the stock 16hp, I want to know if there are any inexpensive mods I can do. If I end up keeping it long-term, I can always upgrade the engine, but at this point I will most likely keep the 16hp.

The 16 will have the restrictors in the exhaust as well.  Headers and exhaust have been good for me, I did it more out of necessity than for performance though.  I'm going to work on doing a cone air filter through tubing to a cooler part of the engine compartment and see if that gets me anything.

Offline AndyL

• 6x6'er
    • Andrew Lapp - Concert Pianist
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:08:33 AM »
Andy:  While replacing a 14 carb to make an 16 works.  Its a big cost to add little real power, unless you find a good used carb.
I feel you are better butting that money towards a 18hp engine, which as has a much larger displacement.  Even better put that
money towards a 23hp  which has an even bigger displacement and much much more torque

Jeff Bar

That's what I figured. I couldn't find much online on this. Like I said earlier, if I end up keeping this Max, I would just upgrade to a performance v-twin of some type anyway. I'll just see how the 16hp is when it arrives. I got it yesterday on Craigslist, but it's in Arkansas and I'm in FL. By the way, I see you are in FL too - around Orlando?

Offline Argo8x8

• 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 06:42:47 AM »
Andy:  While replacing a 14 carb to make an 16 works.  Its a big cost to add little real power, unless you find a good used carb.
I feel you are better butting that money towards a 18hp engine, which as has a much larger displacement.  Even better put that
money towards a 23hp  which has an even bigger displacement and much much more torque

Jeff Bar

Offline AndyL

• 6x6'er
    • Andrew Lapp - Concert Pianist
16 hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:17:47 AM »
Well, after a long break of owning a 6x6, I finally purchased a Max IV yesterday! It has the original 16 hp B&S Vanguard V-twin in it, and I was wondering what kind of mods I can do to that engine. I know the 14hp uses the same block, and removing the little blocks in the exhaust manifold and replacing the carb bumps it to 16 hp, but since I already have the stock 16hp, I want to know if there are any inexpensive mods I can do. If I end up keeping it long-term, I can always upgrade the engine, but at this point I will most likely keep the 16hp.