Author Topic: Argo 8x8 Springer  (Read 2302 times)

Offline carl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New 6x6'er
Re: Argo 8x8 Springer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:26:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  The Utube video was very interesting.  From the comments on the video, it seems like there was a lot of disagreement as to the value of the kit but mainly from those concerned about added weight for flotation, and for reduced capability in the muck.  I wonder if that's what killed the progress of their endeavor.  It looks to me like it would significantly soften the ride over an ungroomed and heavily traveled snow route.  The whoops and valleys produced in those circumstances make the Argo pretty uncomfortable.  If I end up taking the plunge and doing something like this on mine, I'll definitely report back.  Goofing around on the internet, I found this concept... Something else to think about for our well-wheel endowed toys!  fls

Offline Model Citizen

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »
Carl, this video was from 2010. I remembered it back then, but don't know why there were never any updates on it. Same with the other springer Geneo mentioned.

Offline Geneo

• 6x6'er
  • Max II with my mods
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:18:23 AM »
I have seen a Mudd-Ox with a springer system. You might give him a call. Mudd-Ox in located in Shipshewana Indiana USA. Good luck.

Offline carl

• New 6x6'er
Argo 8x8 Springer
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »
After a few years of Argo ownership, I can't believe that I've just now stumbled on the possibility of softening the ride.  I have 2 Avenger 8x8's (a 2011 and a 2016).  They are primarily used to get the family in and out of our cabin.  The whoops and bumps in the snow make this an uncomfortable ordeal, but the machines have never let us down.  Summer use is limited to average ATV trails and dirt roads.  We aren't into any extreme mud terrain, or water crossings.  We have floated them out on the reservoir before which is fun, but let's be honest, a real boat these are not.

I have a few questions about the impact of a springer setup on an Argo:

1.  How much wider does a typical springer setup make the AATV?
2.  Has anyone run tracks for an extended period on a springer?  (I've seen videos with them on and it looks positive)
3.  Could I anticipate an improved ride over ungroomed heavily traveled snow?
4.  I would anticipate improved deep powder performance just due to higher ground clearance - would you agree?
5.  About how much would you estimate the added weight of a springer setup to be?
6.  Are there any kits for this?  I.e., anybody reselling their designs/parts or is everyone just kind of engineering and fab-ing their own solutions?

Thanks for any guidance, and I apologize if I've posted questions that I should have been able to find in previous threads.  I did search, but I'm new to the forum and not sure I looked everywhere.

Carl