Author Topic: Early max ii with twin jlo rockwell  (Read 2824 times)

Offline whipperag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
Re: Early max ii with twin jlo rockwell
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 11:46:14 AM »
How about this site
Performance V-Twins.com
 banana banana
Whipperag

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
Look at this site . Walboro WD, WDA & WR - Vintagesleds.com
Thy have a Very extensive break down on that carb
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline RayDiggins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
Very true, I will do that. I greatly appreciate your help, and looking for me.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
The only reason i kept the 2 smoke was to keep it all original, I'm just nostalgic i guess.
I do definitely see the positives to swapping into a v twin though.
I am with ya  ;)
May want to search a Snowmobile site as those engine came in all types of those. Also sound like the carb has a bad gasket or wrong one in it as it may be passing fuel from the pump side into the carb metering side.
I couldn't find my carb info at the shop as I looked for it to help But I am sure somebody here will get you fixed up  popcorn

Offline RayDiggins

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:09:25 AM »
 The only reason i kept the 2 smoke was to keep it all original, I'm just nostalgic i guess.
I do definitely see the positives to swapping into a v twin though.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
2,Smokes are tuff at times ! When thy run thy run great  banana When thy Don't thy Don't  :'(
Don't get to frustrated with it as you may just want to change it over to a V/Twin 4 stroke and that way you can run it on trails ALOT easier  ;) I Like the 440's and had a blast with mine but the 4 stroke wins out for a Jump in and ride machine every time  dance

Offline RayDiggins

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
I appriciate it! Right now i'd love nothing more that to melt this thing down and be done with it. I just don't know what carb/carbs would work. I haven't checked Richards, but definitely will.

Offline Dozer

• 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
Hate to be blunt but I thibnk you should replace the carb with a smaller Tillotson HR or a Mikuni snowmobile style carb. 
I understand there are no parts being made for your HD and to be honest they were no good when new.  Just my opinion.
Did you check with Richard as they may have something? What do you other guys think? Dave

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:07:21 AM by Dozer »

Offline RayDiggins

• New 6x6'er
Early max ii with twin jlo rockwell
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:27:45 AM »
Hi, all. I have been restoring this max ii for months now, I bought it in bits and pieces, and have been slowly, and methodically piecing it back together. I started out with the easy stuff, all new chains, bearings, went through the electrical, and the t20, as well as the fuel system. I bench tested my twin jlo and it had bad compression, so I went .10 over with new pistons and rings, have good compression now... The stupidest part now is im hung up on the carb! I thought i was going to just fire this baby right up and drive out of my garage with it being a "freshly rebuilt" carb (from the previous owner) , not so much! This walbro wd-33 is driving me crazy! He was missing a gasket, and the metering lever was out of wack, I fixed that. Now it will fire off, but runs like garbage. It just dumps fuel with my high and low turned out 1 and a quarter turns like the manual says they should be, so the only way i can get it to run is both at half turns out.
I guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions, or know of a replacement carb? I question the needles, and unfortunately i can't find then ANYWHERE!?
THANKS IN ADVANCE