Author Topic: Will I wear out the tires  (Read 2851 times)

Offline b1acksmith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New 6x6'er
Re: Will I wear out the tires
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 03:00:26 PM »
Just ordered plugs and weatherstrip from Richard.  I have some of the rust converter. Just have to find it in my workshop. Still unpacking from permanent move to TN and still looking for stuff.
Ross

"The problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." Albert Einstein

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Yes 2 drain plugs.  You will want to buy some extras when you get them.  Check the frame real good where the rust is.  Make sure it hasn't weakend it.  I would also get that stuff that turns rust back into steel chemically.  You just have to remove the loose stuff and clean it.  You can paint over it when it has finished the chemical conversion.  It usually goes on white and turns black when finished.

Offline b1acksmith

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »
I am making a list and checking it twice -  for chain lube and cleaner, rust remover/paint for frame, and the weather seal around the tub.  Are there only 2 drain plugs?
Ross

"The problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." Albert Einstein

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
You can order the drain plugs from Richards site: 6x6parts.com.  I noticed that you are missing some valve stem caps.  Replace those before you go into anything that could plug the stems up, like mud.  While the plugs are out and you are cleaning the tub out, park it at an angle so the front is up and pressure wash or hose it out.  Just make sure the plug holes are the low point and you will be able to wash a lot of junk out of it.  After you are done give it a good grease job.

It looks like a nice machine from your pictures and I bet that light bar is bright.

Offline b1acksmith

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
thanks. should have said it was a MAX II. Here are quick pics when I got home. will get some better after I get it cleaned up.  figured out how to get to the battery (has starting problems when I got home and had to use the recoil starter).  The owner put a small garden tractor battery (12hp max) and it was about dead. Got the body up and cleaning out leaves. will be cleaning up rust and chain and lubing everything.  Missing the two drain plugs in the back so need to find those. Been reading maintenance tips on the forum so I won't break anything, I hope

Everything looks OK to me. I will post pics so you guys may spot any problems I might miss.
Ross

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »
I agree with Wedge.
I live in the country and my driveway is gravel and the road I live on to the trail is 3/4 mile long and is a packed dirt road and my tire wear is pretty much zero. as long as it is not pavement you are good to go and the tires will last a very long time.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »
First off let me say Welcome to the site  ;)
See if you can post pics as we love to see peoples Machines  banana
Also this will let us know what max you have ? 2 or 4 ?
The AT 101's will hold up real well and last longer than you think. The only real thing that tears up tire on these machines is Dry Pavement !
As long as you have some slip your good to go !
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »
Tires are not cheap, use those and see how they do with your usage/needs.  That gives you a chance to see how they really work in your environment, how they hold up and how well you like them.  If you decide you like them and they meet your needs then you are good to go.  If you decide to get new ones you can always sell them later.  Now get out there and drive it like a rental.  banana banana banana

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »
MAX II OR IV
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline b1acksmith

• New 6x6'er
Will I wear out the tires
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »
I just bought a 1997 MAX for a very low price and very practical reason.  We live on a hill, have a 1500 ft up and down drive made of PUG (packed gravel and clay).  We have been using the car and truck to take the trash to the road, check mail and pick up the papers. Too much short trip driving is not good for them. After some "Well, it is Christmas and I only got three expensive presents and need one more" whining, I convinced the wife that we needed an ATV. Saw the MAX and decided that it would be the practical solution (did not matter that is was unique, easy to work on, just plain fun to drive, and in case the Smoky Mountains flooded, we could get out).  Picked it up last night, drove it around like a drunk sailor (I am a retired sailor so I know what one looks like) and now trying to learn more about what I got myself into. OK, enough of the back story.

My First Question (of many to come later) is:  It has 6 brand new tires (little nubs have not even worn off) - 21" Carlisle AT101.  I read that these give a soft ride, but they are fragile. I am afraid that my driveway gravel will wear the out too soon.  We have 27 acres of woods to drive it through, but no water so don't plan to do any sailing anytime soon.  Should I change tires or just use these up and go to something different?
Ross