Author Topic: ATTEX series 5000 ATV transmission questions  (Read 1843 times)

Offline chrisgt500

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: ATTEX series 5000 ATV transmission questions
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
Pull That Snap Ring off and it should Stroke outward to come off. The Fork should have a Roll Pin holding it to the shaft . You punch it out and pull the shaft out then the fork will fall out also.

Yea, I have the snapring off now. All that's left in the case is the big main bearing (since my snapring pliers aren't beefy enough to remove the 4" snapring holding it in), and the fork. I'll have to clean some of the grime off to find the roll pin, I didn't think I saw it, I'll have to look again. The fingers of the shifter fork are worn really bad, presumably because of running low on oil. Those will be easy to replace, just press in new pieces of brass.

Then all that's left is removing the clutch from the input shaft, I have devised a plan for getting it off without the spring going flying across the shop, I just need to buy some parts tomorrow. Then it's off to the machine shop for bearings, assuming I can get all of them, it should be a really easy rebuild. I'm quite pleased with how simple the transmission is.

Since I can find absolutely NO pictures of the innards of this thing online, I'll try to take better pics after it's all cleaned up and going together. Hopefully help the next person out.

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
Pull That Snap Ring off and it should Stroke outward to come off. The Fork should have a Roll Pin holding it to the shaft . You punch it out and pull the shaft out then the fork will fall out also.
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline chrisgt500

• 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »
So I just started taking bolts out of the transmission until it was disassembled... It's pretty simple inside. Few questions if anyone has worked on these before.
I forgot to take a pic of exactly why I need to remove it, but I need to remove the shift fork that selects forward/reverse.
How is the shaft affixed to the shift fork? Is it just pressed in and I can simply pull it out? Is there some other magic going on in there?

Tomorrow I'm headed to my super awesome local machine shop with a box of parts in the hopes we can get all the bearings and seals. Every bearing inside the transmission was either seized or super tight, I'm really glad I took it all apart. It's going to be really smooth fully rebuilt.

It's disgusting in there. Fortunately I'm super lucky and all the gears are in fantastic shape. A good dunk in a bucked of diesel plus a rigorous scrub should have everything back in operating condition. Hopefully all the bearings are seals are available and I should be in good shape.

My planetaries are also mint

The brake rotors obviously need a scrub, but that's not a big deal.

Offline chrisgt500

• 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:04:29 PM »
Awesome, thanks. Putting "baker hill" in my search greatly expanded my results. Sometimes knowing what to look for is half the battle :)
This site plus the old site I discovered has some great info on it, too. Having a lot of fun looking around. I'm excited to finish my restoration and get this little thing going again. I only have to rebuild the everything, it's a fun change from restoring cars.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:21:12 PM by wedge »

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
That is a Baker Hill 5000. Looks like a Feb -1968 Build by the Tag.
You can look up the Baker Hill tranny on Google as there is info on this tranny. Some guys on here also still run them so I am sure you will have the info your looking for soon. As far as the other site Well your on your own with that as I am Not allowed there  stp  twoCents
If you need help we are here for ya  ;)

Offline chrisgt500

• 6x6'er
ATTEX series 5000 ATV transmission questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 01:55:02 PM »
I'm currently working on restoring an early 70's or late 60's attex that uses the ATV series 5000 transmission. There's an overwhelming wealth of information on the T-20, but almost nothing on the older series 5000.

I need to replace the seals in the transmission, specifically the seal between the concentric clutch input shaft and driver side output shaft to the planetary. It leaks like an absolute sieve. I was hoping someone would have some information, pictures, repair manual, or something before I go blindly taking the thing apart in hopes of fixing it...

Part of my problem might be I have no idea what the model or year of the attex is, so I'm not even searching for the right thing. Thanks for the help! Here are some quick pics of the transmission I'm working on.

This is the transmission

Here it is in the attex before I disassembled everything

Also, anyone know someone on the 6x6world forum? I was trying to make an account there but they have an outdated recaptcha and won't let me register.