Author Topic: Scotch Barrel  (Read 1330 times)

Offline garretttpe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
Re: Scotch Barrel
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 06:11:54 PM »
here is the 1st funny story.
After we landed in Presque isle Maine to clear customs, my wife took the pilots to the hotel and the barrel was in the back of the subaru outback, the hotel was a 5 min drive away, after dropping them off she returned to pick me up to go home for the night.
there is a 5 way intersection just before the airport and when the light turned green the wife stepped on the gas the barrel rolled back hit the hatchback and it opened and the barrel was in the middle of the intersection. and there was my wife freaking, a man got out of his truck picked it up tossed it back in the outback closed the hatchback and she came and got me.....

I was amazed there was zero damage to the bands or oak, that just tells you how strong they were built.

while at the distillery they were telling us that Old Pulteney is the finest scotch in the world, as she was telling us that I looked at an empty barrel and it said JACK DANIELS on the top, I then quickly spoke up and said that is because you use "used American whisky barrels....."  lmao. Now if I could have gotten a known Jack Daniels barrel from there that would have been way cool

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
Re: Scotch Barrel
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
That's cool.  You should have some really good stories to tell around it when it is finished.

Offline garretttpe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
Scotch Barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 08:04:33 AM »
I ferried a plane from Uganda to North Carolina a couple of months ago and stopped in Northern Scotland for a couple of days and went to the Old Pulteney Scotch distillery while there, I found someone to make this barrel for me, it was not something they do but the guide's father had a couple barrels laying around at his house and I paid him 160.00 US to do this and he did. We landed in my hometown in Maine to clear customs dropped it off  and flew to NC and now it is in Virginia soon to be in my new house in a couple of weeks.

It is empty unfortunately, it will make a nice drinking table once I put a glass top on it, I also brought back 8 bottles.. It is the best scotch I have ever drank...