Author Topic: max 2 with jlo issue  (Read 1926 times)

Offline stike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: max 2 with jlo issue
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
That is kind of what I was thinking, for now will mostly move around on about 200 acres of land mainly flat with some small ravines, a lot of wetland areas and 3 ponds so not beating on the machine that much just playing around in the woods, best part is its all private and in my back yard, mainly belongs to a couple of friends who don't mind my son and I running around and getting rid of trespassers.

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 08:30:38 AM »
It's all in how your going to use the machine. I still run Bushings and solid pin axles with no problems . So do a little at a time and have fun with it  kik
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline stike

• 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
That is quite a bit but done in stages it would be feasible and that would make it pretty much a new machine. I think if I were to go that route I would get everything going now to use it and start collecting parts as funds allowed.

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:33 PM »
the 500 sportsman engine would be fine for the machine but IMO the things you should do are below

1. if you have bushing's instead of bearing's on the axle's, modify to 76 MM bearings, guys on here have good insight on doing it
2 replace the hollow axles with solid splined axles
2. tear down and inspect/rebuild the T20. it can easily handle the HP/TQ of a 500
3. upgrade the sprockets and axle chain's  to #50 0-ring chain, Number 60 for the 2 drive chain's from jackshaft to center Axel.
4. start from scratch maybe 2-3k total, but you will have a new machine with years of worry free riding... it will take some time but you will be glad you spent the time now, they are a blast to ride

ALL my .02 cents

Offline rider

• 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 08:39:37 PM »
Can anyone tell me where these hose connections are supposed to go? The machine has been sitting for a long time and hoses fell apart. Want to get this engine running but I have an 18hp briggs vanguard v twin that may end up in its place. Any thoughts on that swap?

The 2 arrows point to the pulse line, block vacuum and in carburetor fuel pump.

Offline stike

• 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
I can see why a 4 stroke in a machine like this would make more sense I have been riding and racing 2 stroke dirt bikes for the better part of 40 years and know its full throttle or no throttle unless you have a lot of spark plugs, I also have a 1999 sportsman 500 engine that uses the same clutch setup but that might be a little much for my machine an early 70's max2. Any thoughts on that engine?

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »
I agree with going to the 4 stroke especially if you do not plan on building a racer.  For trail riding a 4 stroke is the way to go.  If you plan on building a racer then the 2 stroke would be fine.  If the 2 stroke has sat unused for quite some time it may need a rebuild due to the seals drying out.  If you go with the 4 stroke I think you will need a different drive clutch (the one on the engine).  Engine mounts along with some wiring, throttle and choke cables (length), and exhaust may also be different.  It is never just an easy one for one swap.  I'm sure someone with more experience doing a swap can give you a better idea what needs to be done.   twoCents

Offline Phelpsy69er

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 03:03:09 PM »
I'd suggest going with the vanguard.You'll have a reliable machine that way.
phelpsy69er

Offline stike

• 6x6'er
max 2 with jlo issue
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »
Can anyone tell me where these hose connections are supposed to go? The machine has been sitting for a long time and hoses fell apart. Want to get this engine running but I have an 18hp briggs vanguard v twin that may end up in its place. Any thoughts on that swap?