Author Topic: Project: ArgoCeptor!  (Read 43676 times)

Offline SARgo1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: Project: ArgoCeptor!
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »
Well, didn't have to wait long for a winch to go on sale.

Crappy tire had an in store clearance on a Champion 2500lb camo pattern winch:

Not too bad. At 150 bucks off, I couldn't help myself (well, I guess I did help myself, lol!).

The camo pattern? Meh, doesn't really do much for me. I would have been happy without it, but the price was too good to let that get in the way. Can of spray paint is only a couple bucks if it bugs me too much.

2500 is enough for my 1000 lb Argo. I tend to snatch and double up most times anyways. This one has a receiver mount, so I may find a way to use that so I can store it inside the Argo when not in use (IE: out of the elements) and I can also chose whether to mount it front or rear, depending on what my needs are at the time.

Sure, it's just a little "cheapy",  but that's all I need for this rig anyways. It's only a "just in case" thing, I don't plan to be in many situations where it's going to mean getting back or not.

But offroad, well..... you just never know. And when you're out in the boonies, if you're not prepared as well as you can be, you just might not make it back that night.

More likely, I'll be hauling other guys out than using it myself......

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
Well, didn't have to wait long for a winch to go on sale.

Crappy tire had an in store clearance on a Champion 2500lb camo pattern winch:

Not too bad. At 150 bucks off, I couldn't help myself (well, I guess I did help myself, lol!).

The camo pattern? Meh, doesn't really do much for me. I would have been happy without it, but the price was too good to let that get in the way. Can of spray paint is only a couple bucks if it bugs me too much.

2500 is enough for my 1000 lb Argo. I tend to snatch and double up most times anyways. This one has a receiver mount, so I may find a way to use that so I can store it inside the Argo when not in use (IE: out of the elements) and I can also chose whether to mount it front or rear, depending on what my needs are at the time.

Sure, it's just a little "cheapy",  but that's all I need for this rig anyways. It's only a "just in case" thing, I don't plan to be in many situations where it's going to mean getting back or not.

But offroad, well..... you just never know. And when you're out in the boonies, if you're not prepared as well as you can be, you just might not make it back that night.

More likely, I'll be hauling other guys out than using it myself......

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2019, 05:17:47 PM »
Finished replacing all the chains today. Both the double 50’s and the double 40’s. Registration papers say “1986 Conquest” but that’s got to be a mistake as it’s all double 50 chain like an I/C and it looks exactly like an I/C (or at least it USED to, lol!)

What a miserable job!

Nothing like having to work down in the bottom of a bathtub for a couple hours. Not to mention, 30 years of nasty, gunky, smear on everything it touches, black grease. Add to that the smell of the varsol (trapped down in that bathtub with me) I had to use to get it clean enough to even work on.

Oh my achin’ back, my raw skin and choked up throat!

But, at the rate I use the Argo, that’s likely to be the last time I’ll have to do that job.

I did, unfortunately, run out of double 50 before I could get the RH forward short chain done. Biggest PITA about that is now I have to buy another 10 footer just to finish that short run. At least it’s wide open and easy to get to since I moved the battery to the rear of the Argo...

Bearings and seals are all done too, although I will probably end up changing seals a few more times as the years drag on. At least I won’t have to fight with sprockets and bearings that have been seized on by 30 years of neglect next time. I hate to admit it, but the guy who sold this rig to me saw me coming a mile off and I got taken...badly. Live and learn I guess....

I don’t mind building and modifying stuff, thats just fun.

But basic, slog through the misery maintenance stuff when the machine is definately not built to be maintnance freindly....yuck. Hate it.

Been thinking about the wheel rims. Originally, they were white, someone has painted them black.

I’m not a fan of either color. I think I’m going to paint them silver to go with the aluminum bits.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:37:47 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2019, 08:13:42 PM »
Ya know, I’m kinda warming up to the old kohler magnum in place of the V4.

Along with finishing up the rest of the build, I’ve been fine tuning the magnum’s running.

It’s beginning to purr quite nicely. But more than that, since I don’t have the battery installed, I’ve been using the  pull start. I gotta say, I’m finding the ability to pull start the engine quite a handy feature. I can see it being very handy out in the boonies and you somehow end up with a dead battery or starter/electrical problem.

Speed is something that certainly is not going to be anything to write home about, but I’m thinking I can drop a tooth or two on the idler shaft and pick up 5 or 10 mph....

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »
Saggy plastic tub sides?

Not a problem anymore!

Had a significant sag in the tub right at the midpoint. I suspect it was either just age or a PO had strapped it down to a trailer across the middle at some point in it’s past.

But once I jacked it up in the center and bolted the upper body band rail to the lower 1/4” bottom plate, it straightened right out! It’s made even more “rigid” by the upper “grab rail”, which essentially makes the upper piece even stronger  by it’s “ladder” type construction. Like a suspension bridge sort of deal-e-o.

So, sagging tub...BEGONE!

Lol!

Ps: the gap at the exhaust pipe isn’t even the entire length because the pipe has a slight “bow” in the middle. Can’t do a lot a about it, it’s just the way the pipe was formed.

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »
Was sooo tempted to try firing it up like this:

Lol!

But I resisted that urge and finished up the exhaust to the rear muffler. Quick sound clip of the old Magnum put-putting through the full exhaust:

Theres a few leaks I have to sort out, mostly around the diamond plate on the muffler. A little exhaust grade silicone sealant will seal that up nicely.

Yes, the pipe gets hot, but the 1/4 aluminum plate is going to cover more stof it so it’s not a big concern. By the time it gets to the up pile for the muffler, it’s just “warm”. You can put your bare hand on it and while you don’t want to leave it there long, it doesn’t burn you.

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
Building the exhaust:

I just went with the "cut and weld" method of forming the pipes. I don't have a bender and the "heat and bend" method I find to just be a major PITA. Besides, I had to weld up the collector anyways, so might as well just weld the bends up. Looks a little ugly, but some grinding and a spritz of header paint will fix that up well enough. I tried to keep the header primary tubes equal length, but there was just no way to do it without getting into more bends and turns. Even so, the rear primary is only about 1.5-2" shorter than the front primary. I'll just have to live with it like that, as if it's going to make a huge difference on an flathead Kohler 18HP opposed twin that was designed in the early 70's.....

The flex pipe might seem like a short cut or cheap way out, but it's there intentionally. Because it will move, it will help to absorb the engine vibrations and compensate for thermal expansion.

To make it all removable, the muffler will get springs to hold the slip fit joint together and the flex pipe has a slip fit piece of pipe as a transition between the flex pipe and header collector, which will also b held together with springs. The springs will allow for some additional movement for engine vibes and thermal expansion, as well as allowing the exhaust to be removed and re-installed reasonably easily.

:)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:40:27 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2019, 06:38:44 PM »
Finished up the fab on the outboard mount:

The small receiver on the rear rail will get a little padding to protect the leg and a strap or clip to hold the outboad firmly in place so it doesn’t bang around during land travel. It’s pretty solid and supported the way it is, a strap will keep it all from even twitching on the worst terrain.

The front just uses a couple lynch pins to hold it in place:

Pull them out and you just drop the mount legs down the holes in the deck:

You can see the supports and the square tube that the legs slide into underneath. The tubes are set at a 5 degree forward tilt, since the argo floats nose down. The tilt will just make it a little easier to get the outboard vertical once in the “down” postion. The outboard is angled back a large amount in this pic to clear the floor:

So when in the water it hangs down lower to get to the “clean” water just below the hull bottom. A side bonus of it being able to swing back so far (it can swing back even further) is if it hits a rock (or something soild) it will hopefully just pivot back instead of breaking off the skeg or prop. I still have to build a “rock basket” for the outboard lower for additional protection, but thats for another day.

I also added the support struts to the front winch mount:

Pretty strong as it sits. I can stand my 200 lbs on the plate and it hardly moves at all. I think most of the movement I felt was actually the tires “squishing” under the force of my fat butt! Lol!

Now I think I’m going to take a break from the aluminum work. It all still has to come off and be finish welded, but its at least fabricated and strong enough for some light “wheeling”.

So, time to take the spool gun off and go back to the wire feed gun to do some work building the exhaust and then get it running again.

Coming along nicely.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:55:18 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline superfox

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2019, 09:49:03 PM »
Don’t look bad I like the winch mount. I need to do something other than factory on my swamp fox mount I pulled my upper from lower trim off

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
More work on the front winch mount:

It’s bolted on, but the rubber body band compressed a little more than I wanted and gave the plate a slight “down in front” angle. Thats why the small wood strut is there.

I’ll fix that with a few spacers and two struts on the bottom of the plate that will also serve to carry some of the winch load down to the interior steel frame:

The PO bolted that plate to the body, so I’ll use it to weld the exterior struts to. Then, a couple steel struts inside will bolt to it and then down to the frame. There’s another aluminum plate on the inside, so the body is well supported. I just wish the PO had taken enough care to get it square on the body. It’s only a tiny bit off, but it bugs the heck out of me! I can’t move it because that would mean 4 more holes in the tub.... :censored:

I’m willing to bet having the winch plate bolted through the body band (and tub seam) is enough to carry the winch loads. Especially since the body band is now encased in the aluminum angle, which goes all around the body and is bolted through the body seam in about 50 places. But I’ll add the interior winching frame down to the chassis, just to be sure.

Here’s a quick idea of what I meant when I said I would build a “prow” to keep the water from sloshing into the grill:

Basically, when you enter the water it will push the water up and forward instead of rushing straight back over the winch mount plate. Sure, if I sink the nose for more than a few seconds, water will gush into the tub. But water entry is essentially a “splash” and then you’re back up and floating.

Pushing the water is the same principle as driving an off road truck in deeper water: as long as you keep pushing, the water piles up in front of the truck and the rest is in shallower water. I’ve often used a floor mat tied to the front bumper to enhance that effect. Same idea here in building the prow....or “water deflector” if that makes more sense to you.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:57:24 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
When I picked up my aluminum order yesterday, I grabbed two 8 foot 3”x1/4” flat stock. This is for the body band lower piece. I was going to use 1/8” flat stock, but the argo tub has just a bit too much sag and I wanted the metal to help support it. 1/8” was just too flexible. I also bumped it up to 3” from 2” to give me a little bit of a “splash guard”:

It also give me a place to attach wider “mud flaps” in the future. Since this is intended for search and rescue as well as a play toy, splattering mud and water all over the occupants isn’t really the greatest idea. So mud flaps will be needed.

Now orginally, I was thinking to run the exhaust pipe down the side to the rear on top of the “splash guard” to the rear muffler. But looking at it now, I’m thinking I might run it under.

It’s a little more work, but the pipe would be mostly covered, which would be a plus for not accidentally getting burnt by the hot pipe when getting in and out and it would look a little less “ugly” when the pipe eventually rusts. I would do the header and pipe in stainless, but I’m not set up to weld stainless, nor do I have any practice at it. I might redo it later on when I get a bit better at it, but for now aluminized steel will do.

It would be a little closer to the wheels mounted underneath, but since there is no suspension hitting the pipe is not an issue. When I do get around to building the suspension, I can just build it so the travel doesn’t reach the pipe.

Thoughts?

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »
Start of the winch mount plate:

That a chunk of 1/2” thick aluminum. It will get bolted through the body split line and will get struts top and bottom that will carry the loads into the body and down to the frame.

Nothing overly serious is going on there, just a 2500 lb winch, same as what I have on my garden tractor. I’ll use the winch on the tractor to prototype and wait for the winches to go on sale. They usually go on sale in the spring/early summer for around 100 bucks.

I’m in no rush, I can wait for them to go on sale...;)

Once I get the basic shape laid out, I’ll add a short “water dam” to the front edge to deflect the water from rushing up and over the front and in through the grill. Similar to how the prow of a boat splits a wave and pushes it down the sides. Little hard to picture, it will make more sense once it’s built.

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »
So, outboard mount is pretty much finished. At least in the design. Still have a little more building to do.

Here it is in "deployed" position:

The outboard actually hangs too low to be all the way down, it's built like that so the water intake is low enough to get good flow and the prop is below the hull bottom. I have blocks under the rear wheels to raise the back up enough that the skeg doesn't hit the ground.

Here you can see where it goes through the cargo rack:

Basically, it just drops into the holes and "hangs" off the rack. There are supports under the rack that I'll use to keep the outboard mount from swinging back and forth:

Right now, there's only one support and I'm using a clamp as the "stop" to get the positioning right. There will be another support on the other side and the "stop" will be another piece of square tubing the mount "legs" will drop into.

For land travel, I will have a couple options. The mount legs have a machined block on the ends. This block will slip into a receiver on the transom. The RH receiver is already in place.

I can either let it hang vertically:

Or, if I want it more solidly mounted, I can swing the outboard back and attach it to the rear rail:

Obviously, that's the better way to carry it over rough ground since it can't bang around or flex as much as it would be if just hanging off the receivers.

I still have to machine a second block for the LH leg and build the LH receiver, but it's coming along nicely. Should be pretty slick once done!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:45:30 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2019, 05:45:34 AM »
if water gets in the muffler will it drain :)

Yup. Drain hole in the underside.

;)

Not that its a worry either way.

Rain and such is not an issue with the outlet pointing down slightly (as it was on the motorcycle exhaust).

Water deep enough to swamp the muffler would already be past the point where it will swamp the whole rig. Roughly 2-3” deeper than the “transom” would be needed to reach the muffler outlet. At that point, water in the muffler will be the least of my worries....lol!

Water entry usually points the muffler even higher and water exit MAY dip it under (in an extreme case) but only for a second or two as it’s moving away from the water with the engine making pressure in the pipe to further slow/stop any significant amounts. Water entry/exit flooding is a simple thing to control; just avoid steep banks and you’re good to go. It’s something I’ll have to pay attention to regularly now anyways with the open grill on the front (for the radiator for when the LC V4 goes back in). The springer suspension and the planned 25” tires will also help with the water entry/exit concerns by raising everything up another 5 inches, give or take a couple inches.

The real intent of the drain hole is to deal with the condensation that accumulates in the exhaust as a result of the combustion process, but any water ingress will also find it’s way out through the “vent”.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:32:29 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »
if water gets in the muffler will it drain :)
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER