Author Topic: Rubbing noise  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Msafi65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: Rubbing noise
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 03:32:33 AM »
I suspect what you are hearing is band chatter. Try holding on a fairly steep forward downhill with the sticks. Allow the vehicle to creep a bit and stop again. If you hear the noise as it is coming to a stop it is band noise. Typically the noisiest ones ie ever heard were filled with a synthetic atf that is very popular in the oil fields in Alaska. I’ve had T20s that just howl at light stick pressure. They should be quiet with one side locked solid. Change the fluid to type F with 4oz. of posi additive. I’ve had a few that had to come apart and deglaze the bands with green scrub pads and resurface the drums. Usually don’t  have to turn the drums down, just refinish to dull gray.  If you can see yourself in the finish it’s to smooth for bands to grab. Not uncommon to change fluid several times to get one to quiet down.

Offline Cordgrass

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:58 PM »
that is the plan. Ill report back once complete. waiting on T-20 adjustment tool

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 10:55:41 PM »
change the fluid add the additive and adjust the bands .
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline Cordgrass

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 11:00:52 AM »
I lifted it up this morning no noise.  dropped it down and had my wife drive it.  I couldn't pinpoint the noise but it sounds like a brake rubbing.  I drove it around and got the noise to quit while turn.  I had to pull real hard against the lever and it would stop.  I am assuming i need to adjust the bands on the T-20.

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:29:02 AM »
I have a couple of questions, does the rubbing sound more like metal on metal, metal on plastic etc, since it only does it while turning possible one of the chains are loose, or a sprocket is slightly moving under that load and causing a rubbing sound, I know I have a sprocket move on me on my Max II and it was close to the tube and rubbed a little, Maybe open the top put on blocks and see if that helps finding it.
Larry

Offline Cordgrass

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:29 PM »
It’s coming from the rear only while turning. Didn’t see any signs of body rub while replacing bearings.

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:02:24 PM »
will it do it when the wheels are off the ground or just under a load. are tires hitting the body. could it be from the trans ?  try getting someone else in the back seat and listen to what area it is coming from front or back
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline Cordgrass

• New 6x6'er
Rubbing noise
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:45:29 PM »
2008 max iv .  Tuning left Or right I get a rubbing sound. I recently replaced all bearings and chain.  The noise was there before replacing.  Any ideas or things to check out