Author Topic: 76 max ii project  (Read 13187 times)

Offline JonathanF101185

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
  • Jonathan's South Texas 6x6
Re: 76 max ii project
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 06:46:04 PM »
Awesome! Keep on keeping on. I used gasoline to rinse and degrease all my parts. Worked like a charm.  banana

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »
Sheesh one setback after another, hopefully, with any luck I will finally be welding the new outer rails on my frame. Then I can start reassembly. A trick I used to clean everything up was easy off oven cleaner, I have not tried this on the tub so not sure if it would have any adverse effects on the plastic, but on my frame, axles, sprockets, and trans it made short work of degreasing spray, let set for ten minutes or so and rinse. Also if it sits too long on the aluminum it will oxidize and make it chalky so be sure to rinse those parts extra well.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
Well I'm back, life comes at ya sometimes and I was at a standstill. Not much progress since I last posted, got my air filter and adapter and also my header kit. Finally bought a torch over the weekend so I can start this plastic welding. Still haven't welded my frame but should be tackeling that over the next 2 or 3 weeks depending on my buddies work schedule, and whether or not I get this job I applied for, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find work in a field I know something about as a paraplegic, but I can understand I am a bit of a liability. Plus I don't have a driver's license and neither of my Vans are equipped for handicap driver. After this frame is welded it should go fast. I'm thinking of just using black plastic barrels as material for patches and welding, they are plenty thick and I think wouldn't be too hateful for forming skid plates front and rear, after thinking it over I don't think I really need a one piece skid plate and I don't want to pay the shipping on a sheet of hdpe, I think if the front and back corners are reinforced that should make my tub last fine. I have to buy plugs for the tub, I thought about just patching them shut since I'm planning on a bilge pump but those holes sure will make it nice when I wash the tub out now and then. Is there something better than just boat plugs? It seems that they would catch stuff I might be trying to go over, rocks, logs, branches, dirt mounds, anything really. I just don't want to rip the tub, I was going to use them from inside out so if one just gets pushed out I can put it back in. What about the little plastic push plugs that would be more or less flush? Has anyone tried gluing them in with silicone then just cleaning it up and regluing it when it's clean up time? I won't be swimming this machine that often but when I do it will probably be for long periods. Which mufflers are you guys finding to be best/quietest? I'll be using this hunting although I don't know how much it matters it seems like deer around here are curious about the noise ATVs and saws make. I saw Vegas carts sells a muffler for golf carts that's supposed to be quiet without killing power, it looks like it could be easily adapted to work on a max ii. I'm planning running my exhaust out through the upper when it's all said and done, I don't need to worry about burning myself down from weeds and high grass and such getting bunched  up in there in the summer.
    Anyone tried building thier own tracks? I can't see spending more on an accessory than I have in the whole rest of the machine including engine mods and all the other unnecessary things I'm already adding. This local welding shop has been giving me pretty good prices on stuff and his work is great, I was thinking of having him make me up cross pieces like the escargo tracks and just using belting they sell at tractor supply, the escargo seems like the bee's knees since the metal can slide for steering but bite like a piece of equipment going straight, just not sold on them totally, if I make tracks from old snowmobile track I know I'd have plenty of flotation but if Im not running in the snow it seems like a lot of extra stress since they're rubber and the tread pattern will be gripping instead of sliding during steering idk maybe I'm thinking too deep into something that isn't an issue yet. I just don't want to up on shits Creek with a turd for a paddle on the occasion I'm out alone, I like being ready for whatever comes my way. But who knows I may luck into a set of tracks for a good or great price and they will be all I need. Just trying to get some ideas from the pros, I'm pretty set on building my own though because I'm pretty tight, if I can build it for cheaper and it be just as good or better then that's the route I go for, besides I enjoy this stuff so I never figured in time as money on any of this tinkering stuff I've ever done.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 01:38:33 AM »
Still doin time
Dan

Offline lw1911

• Trade Count: (1)
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
Had it posted there a few months back, before we all got the boot
Men of their word are known to be trusted, superior, and reliable. A man who breaks his word is known to be weak, unreliable, and inferior.

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 01:36:19 AM »
Hang in there. Shame you aren't closer, I have an upper half hanging on my garage wall.
Did you have it posted on 6x6world classifieds? I might have seen it. There doesn't seem to be much for max ii parts near me. A couple whole machines but I hate to ask anyone to part out complete machines. Luckily between my friends and myself we are okay at fabbing our own stuff. I like this sort of stuff though, by the time I'm done I would've been able to buy a running machine but mine will be close to new with everything that's being replaced repaired or rebuilt. I'm excited to run it. I have alot of plans for different attachments to do work around here and my campsite.
Dan

Offline lw1911

• Trade Count: (1)
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 10:05:18 PM »
Hang in there. Shame you aren't closer, I have an upper half hanging on my garage wall.
Men of their word are known to be trusted, superior, and reliable. A man who breaks his word is known to be weak, unreliable, and inferior.

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 01:18:16 AM »
If it helps DW89xj, everything can be fixed.  :) Getting that frame redone is most important. It's...not good. Just make sure everything is nice & square. VERY important. Everything is a chain reaction. You have the opportunity to be a "perfectionist" now. And by doing so your rebuild will go so much easier & the result will be so rewarding. Even your wife will be impressed.  ;D Keep the good stuff. Not sure? Toss it. You have the opportunity with a teardown to fix it right so you don't have to tear it down again at some point, because you cut a corner.  And Don't be in a hurry. You can do this. It's going to be great.  ;D

I like this kind of stuff, I used to love building jeeps and trucks. I'm going to go ahead and add some gussets and bracing to help. Keeping it square should be pretty easy as long as my buddies welding table is nice and flat, but I'll be checking and checking and checking til I know the axles line up square. These old machines are pretty simple and cool. I already ant another one and this one is just getting on to the side where stuff goes back together. I'm hoping it goes together as smooth as it came apart.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 01:08:37 AM »
One part at a time like Johnny did !  :)

One of my favorite songs. 8)
Dan

Offline Model Citizen

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
If it helps DW89xj, everything can be fixed.  :) Getting that frame redone is most important. It's...not good. Just make sure everything is nice & square. VERY important. Everything is a chain reaction. You have the opportunity to be a "perfectionist" now. And by doing so your rebuild will go so much easier & the result will be so rewarding. Even your wife will be impressed.  ;D Keep the good stuff. Not sure? Toss it. You have the opportunity with a teardown to fix it right so you don't have to tear it down again at some point, because you cut a corner.  And Don't be in a hurry. You can do this. It's going to be great.  ;D

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:29:57 PM »
One part at a time like Johnny did !  :)
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 02:14:43 PM »
Wow, some of that Max is in rough shape but better days are ahead.  Glad to see it is being given a new life instead of being sent to the junk yard.  :)
  I agree, I guess I got my money's worth, I'm just glad it's salvageable, didn't wanna be in this deep but I'm here now so nothing but progress from here on out, at least I'm on the down hill side of it now.
Dan

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
Hay Buddy Good to see you here ! ;)
I must say That's a good clutch. A Bad frame and a Nasty patch job !!
I am working on getting a Max II that may be a good parts machine. I will let you know if it comes to be.
I didn't want you to think I left you on your build it is just when thy Banned me and My Friends out of the blue I had no way to get ahold of you to try and help.
But here you are and lets get this puppy up on 6 ! banana

No worries brother, it didn't take long to figure out what happened, one of the admins put a post for who was banned needless to say not alot of action over there without you guys,  still some good guys over there but was a bit disappointed the guys who were feeding me the most knowledge got the boot. The hard part is done now from what I can tell, grind a few welds and should be pretty straight forward. But yeah man I'm always prowling for parts if nothing else to at least have spares. I might try and source a different upper instead of buying aluminum, we will see when I'm that far along, for now I just wanna get it solid and rolling. The only thing I can come up with why it rusted the way it did was leaking battery and probably sat with water in during that. The whole right side is rough, just the middle on the left which is another reason I'm assuming leaking battery, the worst of it is that area, funny thing is it's only the outside frame rails and a few small areas around the battery box. Live and learn, at least now I know what to look for on my next victim.
Dan

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
Wow, some of that Max is in rough shape but better days are ahead.  Glad to see it is being given a new life instead of being sent to the junk yard.  :)

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
Hay Buddy Good to see you here ! ;)
I must say That's a good clutch. A Bad frame and a Nasty patch job !!
I am working on getting a Max II that may be a good parts machine. I will let you know if it comes to be.
I didn't want you to think I left you on your build it is just when thy Banned me and My Friends out of the blue I had no way to get ahold of you to try and help.
But here you are and lets get this puppy up on 6 ! banana
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting