Author Topic: Escargo vs channel tracks?  (Read 5000 times)

Offline JonathanF101185

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
  • Jonathan's South Texas 6x6
Re: Escargo vs channel tracks?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:26:34 PM »
I was considering tracks for thorn control. I don’t know if they would help but seems like it to me

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:25:18 PM »
I live in South Central PA, this is the main reason I liked these two designs so much, they seem like the the all terrain or all season solution. The videos seem like they do well with about anything. I live almost in the middle of the Cumberland valley, we could get s dusting here but 20 minutes north or south on the mountains could have a foot or more of snow. Then spring time when it's all mud and slop they would still for their job and clean out fine. It's s long term goal to build these, maybe by the end if this year maybe sooner. But I like to know as much as I can before I decide. As far as Chevy vs ford vs Dodge? I'm partial to Chevy but they all break in my experience.
Dan

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »
Hi

I asked the same question yrs ago on the "other forum" and I got the best answer which I will pass on, not verbatim but pretty to the point, Which is better?? chevy, ford, dodge,??? what condition will you be using them in?? there will be as many different answers as there are people, I do not have tracks but in Northern Maine I was looking at the snowmobile track type, best for snow hence why snowmobiles use them.. now I am moving to central PA I will go with a open grouser type. which one?? doesn't really matter they both will clean out well and do as you need.....I hope this helps, I also spent hrs researching hundreds of posts.

Larry

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
Escargo vs channel tracks?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:10:21 AM »
Which design is better? I'll be building my own and either of these seems to be easy and cheap(ish). The channel design I think would be cheapest and easiest. Both seem pretty BA judging from YouTube videos. Also this design should clear my tub better since mine is the older style with the bump above the front wheels. Anyone else try building your own? Better ideas? I thought of just using snow mobile track but that seems like more stress when steering to me, at least on dry ground. The channel and escargo seem like a good all around track, unless it's alot of pavement time. Most of my use will be trail riding, hunting, and winter use. A good mixture of terrain between muddy fields to rocky mountain riding, a little bit of time in water. Any thoughts or ideas for tracks chime in, thanks for all the great info and experience.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:31:54 AM by Dw89xj »
Dan