Author Topic: New member  (Read 27858 times)

Offline lislandjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: New member
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2017, 07:04:51 PM »
Wedge---Factory would be great but $ is a big factor. This is a toy and only a toy.  I am not looking to restore or sink a lot of money into it.  I was told it ran and drove, set up this way, prior to the chain breaking years ago (already fixed the chain). Best I can guess...with the help of everyone today...the factory gearbox took a crap. Maybe they already had the Apex. Maybe they could not easily get the factory gearbox repair/replaced. Either way, the motor was elevated, apex was mounted under the motor. The apex is connected to the motor by belt. the belt pulley was removed from the axle with the brake rotors and a sprocket was added.  The axle is connected to the apex with chain.  The apex is posi so the working (limited slip) half of the factory gearbox is still in place so that the steering still works. I am more than ok with this setup.  Elevated motor is easier to work on for someone new to these machines.

Ascaw---I removed the carb. Complete tear own. Cleaned and checked all passages and ports. Cleaned screen and both diaphragms. Reinstalled. Set high and low needles between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 to start off with.  Never could get motor to run on tank fuel.  It did run great in starting fluid. Only did that for a few seconds as starting fluid does not have oil. Removed carb and checked. Screen was wet with tank fuel. Lower and upper sides of lower diaphragm were wet with tank fuel.  Only the lower part of the upper diaphragm was wet.  I am not getting fuel from the middle section to the main part of the carb. Also lost the float spring on the garage floor....never to be found again. Carb is a Tillotson HR67A on a JLO L296 motor.  Is there an after market carb that will bolt to the spacer on the motor? I priced a rebuild kit at $100+hopefully spring included. I priced a car at $200+. If I am going to spend that much on just a carb...for $100 more I can get a 4 cycle 400cc predator engine brand new and not deal with a 50 year old motor at all.

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »
What have you done to the carb so far?

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
Do yourself a BIG FAVOR and try to go back to Stock configuration !!
It works !!!
Trust me Been There Done that  ;) whistling
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2017, 06:09:30 PM »
So I'm okay with the motor being elevated. It actually make things easier if I need to work on the motor. It makes sense that half the case of the original gearbox was maintained so that I still have the limited slip that the machine requires for steering. The main problem now is still with this Tillotson HR67A carburetor. Cheapest I have found will cost over $200. At that point for another hundred and change I can have a brand new 400 cc 4 cycle Predator engine with electric start. Does anyone have the specs for the JLO motor with regards to RPM, shaft size, and length as well as rotation? Obviously the rotation I can figure out. I'm sure I could get a new clutch pulley for the belt to fit whatever shaft would come on the predator.  For the ease of it I would just hope that the mounting bolts for the Predator would be the same distance to the center of the pulley as what I have now as to not have to fabricate another engine mount on top of what's already been done to have the belt line up with the Apex gearbox.

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »
You may be right about the tranny going bad and having the Apex added.  They rigged it so it still had foward and reverse and they used the old tranny as a type of limited slip differential to steer it.

That had to be so much easier than just replacing or fixing the original problem (he said sarcastically).

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
The Lever IS Reverse . And Yes your rite Your missing 1/2 of your tranny. Now you have a Lawn mower tranny in you 6x6 ! whistling
But look at the tranny for sale on e,bay that I sent ya the post # and you will see what your looking for.
Also there are Members on here that have Attex part that may chime in later that may have what you need ?
Ether way we here will get you hooked up !!  banana

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
Better pictures. The first picture is a picture I found on the internet. You can clearly see the motor sits down low behind the gearbox as it would from the factory. The clutch pulley for the belt is on the driver's side of the machine. The carburetor faces forward and the exhaust Port is toward the rear. The axle that has the two brake drums for steering also has a belt pulley on it that goes straight to the clutch pulley on the motor. The second picture is taken from the same angle and is of my machine. Ignore the cheap plastic gas tank added to the motor. It also is a JLO motor. Because of the addition of the Apex gearbox the motor that needed to be rotated 180 degrees so that the machine still drives forward. You can clearly see the belt clutch pulley on the motor now on the passenger side. You can see that both pictures have the same gearbox however my picture is missing two thirds of the gearbox. What is the mechanical lever on top of the factory gearbox? Is that factory reverse? Could it be possible that the factory gearbox went bad on the machine and to still maintain reverse the Apex gear box was added under the motor?  Also, if my motor was rotated 180 degrees so that the rotation of the motor still has the machine moving forward with the addiction of the Apex gearbox, how is it that the carburetor still faces forward? Could the block only be rotated and the head be bolted on 180 degrees from the way it came? Does this look and sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for all the replies.

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2017, 05:05:35 PM »
The T-20 has reverse and would replace the Apex and the other component.  You would need a drive clutch on the engine and a driven clutch on the T-20.

Try to get the engine going first and try to drive it, even if it is only to see if it all works.  The component may be only acting as a drive and might not be missing anything to make it move.  The pictures are a little hard to tell.  If you decide to replace the engine and tranny, the only way to really know if the motor can be lowered is to take it all apart.  You will have to do some fabrication work to change it from what it is to something more user friendly.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »
No kidding. I am new to this forum and just went through about every post on it. I already posted my pics up on your thread.  I am still trying to find out what component that is that I have between the two brake rotors. I am new to these 6x6's and obviously half of that gear box or whatever it is is missing.  Trying to figure out what people did decades ago just based on what I have now is interesting. My biggest problem right now is with the carburetor on the JLO motor.  If I can't get this tillotson carburetor figured out in a week or so I'm just putting a new four stroke motor on it and being done with it.
 iagree 100%

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2017, 04:04:55 PM »
No racing at all. Strictly trail riding. I have three wheelers and four wheelers and dirt bikes. This was kind of an Impulse buy. The price was right. Would the T20 transmission replace both the Apex gear box and whatever component that is that I have that half of it is missing? What is it that I have that half of it is missing?  I have no idea what is underneath this home built engine stand. I have no idea how easy it would be to drop the motor back down or if it was so modified that I would have to do more than it's worth to put the engine back in its original place. The Apex gearbox does give me reverse. Would the T20 give me reverse as well? I am still putting the cart before the horse on this one. I still can't even get the motor to run because of issues with the HR67A carburetor. Does anyone know if there is an after-market carburetor that would replace the Tillotson?

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »
What are you using it for, racing or trail machine?  Racing - you may want to keep the 2-stroke but you can race a 4-stroke as well.  Trail machine - you will want a 4-stroke.  As for the transmission you can fix that one or replace it with a T-20 if you can find one.  If it was mine I would put a 4-stroke in it and a T-20 transmission.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:59:32 PM by ascaw »

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »
No kidding. I am new to this forum and just went through about every post on it. I already posted my pics up on your thread.  I am still trying to find out what component that is that I have between the two brake rotors. I am new to these 6x6's and obviously half of that gear box or whatever it is is missing.  Trying to figure out what people did decades ago just based on what I have now is interesting. My biggest problem right now is with the carburetor on the JLO motor.  If I can't get this tillotson carburetor figured out in a week or so I'm just putting a new four stroke motor on it and being done with it.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »
Well Joe it looks like the same people owned the machine I picked up for parts ?  hilarious

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »
Here are a few pics of this drivetrain mod I am starting out with.  I have also confirmed that the Apex gear box underneath the engine also has reverse.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:58:28 PM by lislandjoe »

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
Welcome to the site  :)
I must say I would like to see that drive set up !!
From the sound of it you may be best to start from scratch with the drive set up But ?? nopics