Author Topic: TRANSMISSION BAND END FOR O-RING PLUNGER/PIN ?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Msafi65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: TRANSMISSION BAND END FOR O-RING PLUNGER/PIN ?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »
Bands that are TIG welded on both ends(after about 1983)are no longer marked for anchor end or plunger end. Used bands tend to show a slight straight spot on plunger ends. Early bands that were only pressure welded on one end were marked. Most of the manuals still list this as they were originally printed in the 70’s.

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »
The best way to figure out which way the bands were is to set the bands in place one way and then the other way.  If one way looks more natural or seems to line up better then that is probably the way you will want them.  Use the plungers without the o-rings or pins to test fit it.  I agree the bands are the same at both ends so either end can go in the plunger.  This may help you determine which way you want the bands to go.  Hope this helps.   twoCents

Offline LittleG

• 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 04:05:51 PM »
If the band's are welded at the loop like they are supposed to be the end that gets the plunger will be ground down a little bit where as the other end does not get ground down. But most importantly just make sure you have rights and lefts the fact they are realigned does not make one bit of difference

Offline Dozer

• 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »
All  used bands are stretched and to some degree fatigued from past use.  I too hope they last you a good while.
What that being said, there is no difference which end you put plungers on their respected right or left sides, as they looked
same when new.

Dave Evans

Offline max14hp1

• New 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
I AM REFERING TO THE NATURAL CURVE RADIUS OF THE BAND... IT APPEARS ONE END STARTING A CURVE RADIUS MAY BE STARTING THE CURVE RADIUS EARLIER THAN THE OTHER END OF THE BAND.  THE BANDS ARE NOT STRETCHED OR REBENT.  JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT END TAKES THE PLUNGER AND WHAT END ACCEPTS THE PIN.  TRYING TO GET A GOOD ANSWER BEFORE I START RESAASEMBLING.

Offline Roadwolf

• 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »
The bend down part is a good reason never to reline bands, as the metal gets weak with all the used spring action.  But since you alway  "wasted" your money  whistling .  I would use this bent
down end since its already stretched.  This stretched is also a bad thing for reusing bands, as they get longer from stretching.  Hope they do not break on you.  On that issue many people
have used relined bands with good luck, while other have had them break.  Good luck. 

Offline Phelpsy69er

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 12:48:55 PM »
I really dont think it matters as long as you have the lefts and rights in the correct spot. I will go look at a set but almost positive it don't matter
phelpsy69er

Offline max14hp1

• New 6x6'er
TRANSMISSION BAND END FOR O-RING PLUNGER/PIN ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
I HAD MY TRANSMISSION BANDS RELINED AND NEVER MARKED THEM. NOW I AM UNSURE WHAT END OF THE BAND TAKES THE O-RING PLUNGER AND WHAT END IS FOR THE DOWEL PIN HOLDER.  I KNOW WHAT 2 ARE RIGHTS AND WHAT 2 ARE LEFTS... JUST UNSURE WHAT END GETS THE PLUNGER.   IT DOES APPEAR ONE END OF BAND DOES BEND DOWN EARLIER THAN THE OTHER SIDE BUT NOT BY MUCH..ANYONE CAN HELP ME IDENTIFY WHICH END IS FOR WHAT??   THANKS