Author Topic: Bought an almost-new Max IV 27hp, Looking for any mods/upgrade suggestions  (Read 2052 times)

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
Re: Bought an almost-new Max IV 27hp, Looking for any mods/upgrade suggestions
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »
OUCH!   :o

Offline snaps10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
I did not know these were K-locks, but they would be as these are the original factory rims. So there are no issues running 0 PSI?

As far as tire slip goes, no trouble running 0psi for me. That being said I won’t be doing it anymore as of last night... wasn’t eve even  very hard hit on a loose boulder on the ranch. I think the tire just allowed the full load to be taken by the wheel and axle.

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
Great find. The 27 horse IV is my favorite model. I had several as demos between 05-2013.  The rear seat always got a hinge kit from buffalo truck. This made the rear chains and battery much easier to access. When you get it look at the front of the transmission and see if there is a welded bracket going to the top front bolt. The same one with the angled strap bolted to it. That was the last frame upgrade and it was in all the 2010s. It may have been in some earlier ones also. The Kawasaki is always a cold blooded thing and will need a choke even on warm days if it’s not been run in an hour or so. The factory wheels are very good at holding the tires. I run about 1 psi when in rough terrain.  My only gripe I ever had with the 4 was front axles breaking at the outer snap ring  groove. They are tough but just don’t be surprised if you break a front axle or both in a couple hundred hours. We also ran them like we stole them.

Offline Dozer

• 6x6'er
I would install the shift improvement kit, sure made mine shift much much easier. banana
Dave Evans

Offline AndyL

• 6x6'er
    • Andrew Lapp - Concert Pianist
I did not know these were K-locks, but they would be as these are the original factory rims. So there are no issues running 0 PSI?

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
I’ve seen bead locks for them, but with the k locks I have been running 0psi this past week and haven’t blown a bead yet, even with the 12yo driving (she drives it hard)

Offline Tbone9

• 6x6'er
Congrats on your new rig. I’ve got an 05 with 27hp kawi. The red spring helped out for low end torque especially for running tracks. I didn’t need the back seat so took it right out and made a floor for cargo. The split shift mod really makes it easier to shift especially with tracks in deep snow. Super hard to shift in reverse without it when your stuck and can’t rock it back n forth to shift. In 08 they beefed up the frame a little under the trans for better support. The roll cage helps a little with chassis flex so not as big of problem than without. If it has original wheels they should already have bead locks. Known as k locks on a Max. I’ve never broke a bead lose on them. As far as the plow goes, well if it ever did snow you can impress the neighbors lol.
What it lacks in ground clearance is made up for with traction.

Offline AndyL

• 6x6'er
Congrates
I highly recommend doing a split shifter on it, I had to use mine today bush waking through the woods and it is a life saver.
Also install the "red spring" on the driven clutch, It will stay in lower gear at a higher RPM. great for climbing hills and stuff.

Oh yeah I forgot about a split shifter. Have you or anyone tried the easy shifter kit for the T-20? I know you can damage the trans if you aren't careful with it.

I remember reading about the red spring too... Will that help with acceleration off the line too? And will it affect top-end speed? I guess the larger engines have a larger primary clutch, so will that red spring still work with that larger clutch?

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
Congrates
I highly recommend doing a split shifter on it, I had to use mine today bush waking through the woods and it is a life saver.
Also install the "red spring" on the driven clutch, It will stay in lower gear at a higher RPM. great for climbing hills and stuff.

Offline AndyL

• 6x6'er
Bought an almost-new Max IV 27hp, Looking for any mods/upgrade suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:31:05 PM »
OK so I know this forum is full of the 6x6 community pros, which is why I'm coming to all of you. I am selling my 1995 Max IV, and I just bought a 2007 Max IV 27hp fully loaded with only 9 hours on the machine :))   I am still waiting to have the shipping company deliver it to me. The windshield, camo top, and slow plow are all new from the factory and never used... I have no idea why I need a plow in Florida though!! haha.

I've been waiting my whole life to get a new high performance Max IV with all factory options this one includes, and since Max's are no longer in production, I lucked out finding this garage queen on Ebay.

Anyway, some ideas I'm thinking for mods:

- I read somewhere that there is a 2008 upgrade to the frame. Is this related to the transmission?
- One of Whipper's mods that I did for my '95 Max IV was added a nylon sleeve on the U-channel pins on the T-20 to take out some slack. Is this still a mod to do on an '07 Max?
- Anyone have any easy bolt-on engine mods or simple mods like another air filter, high performance exhaust, etc?
- Maybe add a marine switch to cut off battery power when not using the vehicle
- Adding a hinge on the backseat bottom and possibly make a compartment for storage
- Beadlock for tires (is this an add-on for existing rims, or are special rims used?)
- Any other suggestions?

I really like everything about the Max IV's appearance in its stock form, so I don't really want to do any mods that will alter the body like drilling extra holes. Maybe if Whipper ever decides to offer a springer kit for the Max IV again, I'll have to jump on that.

Here's a pic of the Max.