Author Topic: Camel Centipede Project  (Read 2071 times)

Offline dexter2011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
    • West Branch CBI
Re: Camel Centipede Project
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »
Got the axles and the frame out today.  There is some rust to fix on the frame but not too bad.

Offline dexter2011

• 6x6'er
    • West Branch CBI
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
Rarity is the problem.  If it were and Attex or a Max I could try some other things that have worked for me in the past.  All of the normal stuff (heat, oil, hammer, etc) are not working.  I am very limited on what I can do because I can't risk damaging the body.  I may have to cut the axles and make new ones.  I've done it before but with this the hubs are welded on so that requires more work.

Offline Argo8x8

• 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »
I have had good luck with Kroil, What is Mouse milk?

Please post some more  photosI have never seen a Camel.   nopics. Ha ha.. Jeff Bar

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:13:59 AM »
If sanding, blasting and spraying it doesn't do the trick try heat, just be careful not to catch it on fire.  It sounds like it is going to be a slow fiddly process so don't get too crazy or too frustrated.  You don't want to do something you may regret later.  It's a rare machine so it is worth taking your time and doing it right.  If you clean it and leave it as is then Murphy's law will mean shortly after you finish it a bearing will go bad.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 11:58:33 PM »
Spray the axles, bearings and sprockets with PB Blaster and let it sit for a few days, spray every day.  Give it some time, perhaps it will help things come apart.
iagree, you can also try KROIL ( is what we use in Aviation) or Mouse milk, even brake fluid works really really well

Offline Dozer

• 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
Spray the axles, bearings and sprockets with PB Blaster and let it sit for a few days, spray every day.  Give it some time, perhaps it will help things come apart.

Offline dexter2011

• 6x6'er
    • West Branch CBI
Camel Centipede Project
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
I started restoring my centipede today.  I removed most of the stuff that bolts on and glass beaded all of it today. I am having a real problem with the axles. They are really stuck in there. As I see it I have one of two options. Leave it all in place and clean it up the best that I can and hope the bearings last forever or cut the axles and have new ones made ($$$). Any suggestions on how I might get these out?  I want to try to keep the machine as original as possible.