Author Topic: THE ORIGINAL COOL T-20 BUILD  (Read 140 times)

Online wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
Re: THE ORIGINAL COOL T-20 BUILD
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Nice job !!
Great info also !  ;)

Online WFO

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 10:04:32 PM »
so now that you have the pump mounted and lines attached the cooler is next. on the lines, it doesn't matter which side of the trans they are attached to. you just want a smooth transition for the lines to go up to the cooler, you do however need to know which way the fluid is pumping. so find a good spot for the cooler and attach it. when you run the lines you want it to fill from the bottom of the cooler and flow to the top, purges air out better. so on mine i have a temp sensor that will turn the fan on automatically. but i have a manual switch to turn on the pump. also when you hook the line up you want to install a flow back valve, i use one for a hot rod fuel system it just keeps all the fluid in the cooler and won't drain back into the T-20 and overfill it, also at this point you can add a trans filter, the one i use is about 1 1/2 in diameter and is made for transmissions . THIS PART IS IMPORTANT, the reason for the pump to have a good head pressure rating is because now you need to slow down the flow. [ I could not find a good pump that could take the heat and run continuously ] so what i used was a solid 1 inch long bar that fit into the hose with a hole drilled in it. the hole i drilled i think was 1/16 it could be smaller i can't remember. after you get what you need you have to install a gauge on the line after the orifice to check for head pressure. make sure it is below the specs for the pump.
and their you go a COOL T-20 simple and easy to maintain.
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Online WFO

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »
so here is it mounted . lots of room for airflow and space around the pump.

Online WFO

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:28:21 PM »
so once you get the trans all situated with fittings and put back together you need to find a place for the pump and routing of the hoses.
keep it simple and accessible. the bracket is bolted in not welded.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:30:12 PM by WFO »

Online wedge

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 09:44:40 PM »
Ok  popcorn

Online WFO

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
its a tilton. I think i got it from summit racing. its the better one, it can take up to about 18 lbs of head pressure and still work. I'll explain later why.

Online wedge

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:31:23 PM »
What for pump you using ?

Online WFO

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »
I reposted one pic, so you mark where you will drill the holes for a 1/4 pipe thread. I picked an area at the lowest point in the transmission and on each side of the CENTER PLATE. one side will be for pulling and the other side for return. on earlier model MAX IV their is no crossmember under the trans mounting so you won't have to worry about that getting in your way. latter model MAX IV their is and you have to make sure that when you drill the holes their slightly to the rear. the reason is when you install the hose to the fitting you can reach them and tighten the clamp. JUST LOOK AT THE PIC. and when the cases are split you can see exactly where the holes need to go because you also have to contend with THICKER CASTING AREAS. this whole process is actually easy to do.

Online WFO

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
thanks . I had just bought that from R.I. before they bailed, got a screaming deal. 1850.00 shipped

Offline George

• 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:11:11 PM »
That's a nice looking T-20!

Online WFO

• Full 6x6'er
THE ORIGINAL COOL T-20 BUILD
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
so whenever you pull your T-20 and are rebuilding it, take this into consideration. "COOL T-20" so first off put your T-20 on a bench and clean it up good because you will be splitting the cases. on this build i started with a NEW T-20 after WHIPPER did some machine work to it for the laterals. so of course you will need to have all the parts to make it a COOL T-20 , pump, lines, fittings, heavy duty cooler for like oil or trans fluid or similar. try to keep it simple makes for better maintenance latter.