Author Topic: Let’s talk bearings  (Read 7224 times)

Offline whipperag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
Re: Let’s talk bearings
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
Or you can get the ultimate Bearings and never screw around with any of this crap. kik kik
WFO knows.
 dance dance dance dance
Whipperag

Offline whipperag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »
The grease very rarely gets where it's suppose to go.
It is suppose to go into that little hole in the OD of the bearing.
Even if you line up the zert fitting with the hole I don't think the grease will go into
the hole.
About all you can do is pump lots of grease in it to fill the void between the bearing
and the flanges, that will help slow down the water from coming in when your floating.
The mud and gunk will surely fill that little oil hole in no time.
Keep plenty of bearings in your tool bag. banana banana banana banana
 dance dance dance dance dance dance
Whipperag

Offline snaps10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »
When I went through and greased all of my bearings 4 of them shot grease out between the carriers on the first pump of grease. Should I split and reseal each of the carriers?

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
Well, pulled the wheel off, took the bolt out of the axle and sprockets and pulled the whole dang thing out easy as could be. Never pulled the chains or anything. Took my time cleaning it well and sealing then went to reassemble. I cut a piece of 1” square stock to fit between the sprocket and the frame for support since it was just hanging by chains and gently tapped the axle in. Went smooth as I could imagine. Only a 3 Coors Light and 1 pair of Levi’s job.

I only replaced the one since I didn’t want to push my luck.

Greased everything else and it’s running well.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
3 bearings on the way. Figured since I have to pull the chains I may as well replace the front and rear. Pulling the body will give me the excuse to drop my fuel tank in the rear and cut out the rear part of the tub. One day I’ll actually drive it more than work on it I’m sure.

Offline Model Citizen

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
Haven't had to change a bearing but maybe 2 times on any of our machines. Other than my Max, I can't remember the other one.  :-\ But even springered, they have to be changed the same way.  :) Having a slidehammer helps a BUNCH.  ;D

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
I don’t know if I want to watch that video. It will just give me even more springer envy!!!!

Offline Model Citizen

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:01:50 PM »
Your daughter is going to be a big help finding the bugs. A lot of people might hear a squeak & just let it go, but she brought it to your attention.  :)  This video should help you. Since you have to change one, check them all. There may be more going bad other than the obvious one. When it comes to bearings, you get what you pay for.
Yes, the chain has to be taken off.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
Let’s talk bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:19:30 PM »
My daughter came up to me shortly after taking off for a drive on the farm and said the maxII was squeaking. I went out to check and discovered this.

I’ve dreaded changing out bearings or axles, guess now is the time. Is there any bearings recommended over others? 

What’s the easiest way for the middle bearings?  I’ve noticed none of the how-to videos mention chain removal, am I to leave the chains on while removing the axles?