Author Topic: Forced my hand  (Read 1322 times)

Offline snaps10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: Forced my hand
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me. Took about 5 Dremel wheels and a bunch of colors to get it fixed. Was a pain in the neck.

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
Re: Forced my hand
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
At least it didn't lock up on the lower tub and punch a Hole in it !! stp
These machine NEED Good Chain !! You will be Chasing Cheap chain all the time !!
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline roadrash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Forced my hand
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »
I knew that the chains were loose and needed serviced but I just wasn't quite ready to pull it down. A friend of mine came over the other day and wanted me to take her for a ride in it. Perfect. Take her for a ride then put it on blocks, remove the motor and service the axles and chains.
 Well it was almost perfect. Took her for a ride. We were headed back to the shop, via the pond. When the front tires hit land something felt weird and it stopped pulling. I coerced it totally out of the water and on to dry land but it wouldn't go anywhere after that. At least it was out of the water, but it forced my hand. The left side was totally locked up and I had to remove the motor right there on the bank of the pond to access the drive chains. Not the most ideal conditions. lol. I found that the left primary drive chain had doubled up a link on the sprocket and as it went around it wedged onto the metal frame in the rear and locked up tight. I had to cut the chain, then beat the chain out of the frame and finally it freewheeled and I was able to pull it up to the shop. phew.

The silver lining is that there appears to be enough chain to remove at least one link from all of them instead of having to replace them. Possibly the last person that replaced the chains failed to loosen the tensioners and got the chains too long.