Author Topic: Project: ArgoCeptor!  (Read 43638 times)

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
Re: Project: ArgoCeptor!
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »
Looking good.  Your picture is a bit large to see the whole thing without scrolling side to side and up and down.  Sorry to hear about the exhaust.

Offline SARgo1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2020, 10:04:02 AM »
Getting ready for winter, tracks on:

Looks cool on tracks.

Unfortunately, I didn’t account for the needed clearance when I buikt the exhaust and the tracks ripped the exhaust apart when I tried to reverse. Seems I was thinking the suspension (didn’t get to it yet) was going to give me the needed clearance, but I havent gotten to building it yet.

Soooo.... >:(

For now, I’m just going to move the exhaust above the body seam and add a heat shield so no one gets a burn off it.

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »
 Great idea!!

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2020, 07:06:23 AM »
Pretty cool all the stuff you keep coming up with. nice work

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2020, 04:16:57 PM »
30 years of SAR has left me pretty beat up. Pretty broken. I was the guy who could grab a 302 short block and walk across the shop with it. Now I struggle with a couple paint cans.

In the shop isn’t a big problem, I’ve got cranes and lifts to move heavy stuff. Outside is a different story.

So I built myself an all-terrain “crane”:

First job was to lift up the lawn tractor so I could spray the caked grass off the deck. Worked great!

This will be quite helpful for my yard and woods work!

And if I want to remove it, its just two bolts and pull the pin in the pulley to release the winch cable.

I just have to be careful how much weight I try to lift as the plastic tub will inly support so much...

:)

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2020, 09:19:40 PM »
very nice, makes me miss my place in maine on the water

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »
Looks like a real nice setting.  A good place to relax and unwind.

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »
Couple pics of the Argo out doing stuff that I built it for:

Thats the back of our lot and I’m just working on cleaning out deadwood and general mess. Plan is to (eventually) build a small boardwalk back to the river and a small deck where we can sit and enjoy nature.

River has fish, mostly trout and sometimes atlantic salmon, but I haven’t fished in years. May take it up again now that I’m full on retired...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:43:07 AM by SARgo1 »

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #235 on: April 25, 2020, 03:59:03 PM »
Got tired of the weather beating up the winch when parked outside so:

Nice simple project. A little bit of seam sewing and some pop snaps and she’s covered!

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
Well, I finally got tired of the foam mat I was using in the back of the Argo, over the aluminum rear floor.

It just wasn’t up to the task. It ripped easily, it slid around and folded upon itself and just was an all around pita.

So:

Thats a big, heavy horse stall mat cut to size. Its nice and thick, so it won’t squirm around or fold on you when you’re in the back. It’s also heavy enough to keep the aluminum floor from “clanking” when traversing rough ground. Theres no way in heck you would be able to tear it. As an added bonus its ribbed on one side and flat textured on the other. So one side can accept a bit of water and still have a dry standing surface, whike it can be flipped over if you need a flat surface to place something on.

It does add a bit of weight to the Argo, but when your rig already weighs around 1000lbs, 20 or 30 more really makes no difference.

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »
SARgo1
what did you work on as an A&P, I am currently working on a couple of CASA 212-200 and 300. Nice work on your project

I was military.

CT114, CF5, CF18, CH113/A, CH 149, Challenger, Buffalo, Twin Otter, CC130.

Also did some restoration work for our local aviation museum.  Pieseki (piston tandem rotor), Neptune, Dakota, Lancaster and several old recips. Even a couple old radials...those were cool to work on, even if it was mostly just a clean and polish.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:25:32 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2020, 08:58:18 PM »
SARgo1
what did you work on as an A&P, I am currently working on a couple of CASA 212-200 and 300. Nice work on your project

Offline SARgo1

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2020, 07:25:53 PM »
Its all woods here, but the ground is pretty much straight up sand. And no matter what, it seems I always get stuck either where theres no trees, or nothing to anchor to in front of the Argo (nothing around, or off to the side or too far away for the cable to reach) at all.

So I need to find myself a feild winching anchor.

I look at a couple things. They all pretty much involve digging and burying something to act as an anchor. Well, I’m not up for digging every time I need to winch. Then I run across a “pull pal”:

Its a metal anchor, basically a shovel blade with a bar you attach your winch to and as you pull, the blade tries to bury itself deeper and deeper. The prices are just foolish though. They start at 375 USD (+ shipping) and top out as much as 675 usd.

Thats a little too crazy for my old Argo.

So a couple hours with some scrap metal and:

There we go. Net cost: 0 bucks. Tried it out on a pure sand hill and it digs itself deep and pulls the Argo (right around 1000 lbs) right up the grade.

It pulls right out of the sand when the load is removed, but that got me thinking what do I do if it buries itself in clay or some other hard to move material. I start thinking to myself that once I’m unstuck, I can just use the winch to pull the blade back out of the ground the way it went in. But I’d need something already attached to the blade when it buried itself or I’d still have to dig. So:

There we go. Now, its just a matter of positioning the Argo and yanking the anchor back out of the ground.

The anchor breaks down into parts, so carrying it on the Argo will be a piece of cake. Just break it down and clip it to the roll cage somewhere out of the way.

Easy peasy.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:57:03 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2020, 12:51:14 PM »
Just because it is new doesn't mean it is good.  :o  Nice to hear that is was only assembled wrong and you figured it out quickly.   banana   A lot of people would have just thrown it out and got a different one.   twoCents

Offline joemeg

• Fellow Inmate
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »
 Great story. So, it's not just me that occasionally takes a brand new product out of the box to find it malfunctioning! Good for you for going the extra distance to figure out what was going on! And, now ya got an extra winch.  8)