Author Topic: 1986 Conquest 8x8 build up for SAR!  (Read 6861 times)

Offline SARgo1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
Re: 1986 Conquest 8x8 build up for SAR!
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2017, 04:50:12 AM »
So ive been needing a trailer to haul the Argo. But like most guys, I don't want to spend any more than I have too.

Problem was; I wanted a trailer big enough to take the Argo with supertracks, which means a minimum of 72" wide. Those size trailers are a little harder to find used and just don't come cheap when you do.

I've been watching the local buy and sell and there was a beat up looking old home built that was 6'4"x10'6". But it looked like poo and he wanted 400 bucks.

I thought about looking at it once or twice but it just looked so bad in the pictures I couldn't be bothered.

As fate would have it, I actually drove by it yesterday when I was headed somewhere. I stopped to have a look just because I was there anyways.

Well, it still looked like crap. But under the crap looks, it was actually pretty heavily built and in decent shape. There was something I couldn't put my finger on about it, but it was big enough and certainly a good base to build on.

The for sale sign also had 400 crossed out and 300 written in.

So I called the guy and we got to talking. Ended up paying 250 bucks and hooking it up. Tows straight and true. No bounce and the truck doesn't even know it's three.

I get it home and get a more in depth look at it. It had hydraulic surge brakes on it at one time, but the master cylinder is long gone. That seems strange to me on a home built utility trailer, but I dismiss it as someone used what they had lying around. The tires are new 12" Carlisle's on 5 bolt rims. The frame is thick and the sides are not c channel, but rather look like a box section that isn't a complete box. It takes a 2 inch ball and the A frame is very heavy. 3500 lb axle with surge brakes. Theres some kind of bracket in each corner under the soft and rotting floor. There's strange little posts on the front and rear frame that angle up so they're not tie down points.

Then it hits  me what I'm actually looking at: it's a converted camper trailer and a fairly big one at that. I'm guessing it's an old "Bonair" from about the 70's as  the seller told me he bought it off a guy who used it to haul his stuff down from Montreal. Couple things also have "made in Quebec" stamped in them (ie: plastic wheel wells).  That's why the welds look so good and it's fairly heavily built; only the registration is "home built", the base trailer frame is production built.. Certainly heavy enough to drag my Argo or a motorcycle or two around. 10'+ will be nice for hauling lumber from the yard as my truck only has a 6.5' bed (biggest I could get on an f150 crew cab).

So, plans are to strip it down to the frame and blast it clean. Drop tail added and axle flip to make a nice deck over utility trailer. Drop gate at the rear and I'll build platforms over each wheel well for the Argo to sit on. A bit more steel and probably 2x6 pressure treated boards. Two raised platforms will give me some storage on the trailer for some long but low items as well as wheel clearance.

Plan is to end up with something like this:

but in a deck over configuration.

Should be fun. Pics as it develops. Only in to it for 250 right now (and I could use it as is) so that's good!

:)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:16:52 AM by SARgo1 »

Offline Craig_B

• 6x6'er
  • 1983 Argo TB 8X8 and a 1963 Pengor Penguin
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:53 AM »
Awesome looking project!! And well done.

Looking forward to seeing how all this progresses.

Offline SARgo1

• 6x6'er
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2017, 05:31:57 AM »
New spool gun showed up today.

dance

Now to get a bottle of 100% argon and start practicing my aluminum welding.

Toying with the idea of ditching the steel Argo frame and building one out of aluminum. I'm building all the racks and whatnot out of aluminum (for weight consideration and I just like working with aluminum) so it's not a big leap to do a frame too. Give me a chance to stiffen the old rig up. The floor piece is dented and rusty and the whole thing twists and wanders like a drunken sailor over anything even resembling uneven ground. It's eventually going to be a Springer, so stiffer frame the better IMHO. The suspension will do the work of keeping tire in contact with the ground, not a twisting frame and tub.

I'll have to check with my supplier to see what dimensions are available for channel and such.

Be good to also refine my welding skills. Racks first (ie: practice on non-structural)  then stuff like frame, winch support, etc.be totally worth it to me even if I only see something like 20 lbs. That's another 20 lbs of first aid or rescue kit I can load on or another 20 lbs that can go towards mitigating the extra weight for the Springer suspension...

;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:43:42 AM by SARgo1 »

Offline WFO

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 06:02:45 PM »
good job . you made quick work of that  8)
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
That looks good !
3, Amphicat. 1, StarCraft. 1, Max 1, Attex  And Counting

Offline SARgo1

• 6x6'er
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »
Floor:

Pretty close to final shape. I need to belt sand it down a touch here and there, weld the supports to the Argo frame, install the dzeus fasteners and make a hatch door over both body drain plugs.

Its solid enough that i can walk around on it with my 225 lbs. Very tiny bit of deflection, which i will handle by riveting a cross brace to the underside of the floor.

Some tie down rigs will double as something to grab to lift the floor out when needed.

Im a little back and forth on bonding some thin rubber matting to it or using some of the foam matting (looks like gray diamond plate).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:22:02 AM by SARgo1 »

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2017, 08:33:51 PM »
Hand made is the way to GO ! >:D

Offline SARgo1

• 6x6'er
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
Sorry to say i dont have one handy. Wish i did.

The big shear at work, Jig saw and belt sander will have to do....

Offline WFO

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »
thats a job for a water jet.
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
Nice work my friend !

Offline SARgo1

• 6x6'er
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »
Finished off today making the rear floor template:

Transferred it over to the 1/8" aluminum sheet. Will cut it out tomorrow and probably take it to work where i can bend a lip on the forward edge so stuff doesn't drop off the front of the floor and down into the chain cavities. The floor is going to be secured to the rails with dzeus fasteners, but a nice wide lip will also protect the fuel tank in case it does happen to come in contact with the aluminum floor.

Offline Model Citizen

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »
Nice job. I like the way you anticipate what you will need & how to make it happen.

Offline SARgo1

• 6x6'er
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
Yep, low draw was a lot of the reason i'm going led everywhere. Leds have come a long way lately and now bright white is cheap and effective in an led lamp.

The argo is going to get an alternator also so i can run pretty mich everthing i want. Im going to need it if night searching as there will be lights front, sides and rear when rumbling down the trail or through the bush. It will be more about being seen by the Search object than seeing the search object. Infind the only things effective for a non-cooperative target at night is FLIR, night vision search or nightsun sewrchlight. In that order of effectiveness. Naked eye in the dark or white light is literally a "shot in the dark" if you find them or not.

All the same, i'll probably carry a couple hand held spots that will run off the 12v plug or maybe mount one or two on the cage somewhere that can be passenger controlled.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:33:10 PM by SARgo1 »

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
The Plus side is the Very low AMP draw !

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Those lights look like they will be great for night ops.