General Category > SPRINGER: Talk pertaining to custom ATV's

Question on springer builds.....

(1/8) > >>

Sxenobladx:
Again, we are successful in answering questions. And questions from you.

whipperag:
Powder coat

WFO:
is that powder coated or just paint

whipperag:
The VW CV joints have about 1" of plunge, but I made custom axles to slide in and out of them.
And when assembled every thing is captured and can't come apart.

SARgo1:

--- Quote from: whipperag on September 09, 2017, 12:39:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: ascaw on September 09, 2017, 11:45:57 AM ---SARgo1,  you may want to consider over engineering it for the added weight of the gear you plan on having onboard and the added weight of the suspension.  Also it will help in the future when you decide you want some more HP, say 50 or so.  Easier to do it now rather than later.

--- End quote ---

Bingo, ascaw. you hit it right on the head. Over engineer it, you don't want to work on it all the time.
For a good independent suspension you have to have floating outer axles for the wheels to move
straight up and down through the travel of the wheels.
If you use u-joints you end up with the suspension of a VW swing axle.
The tires will fold up under you when you catch air or in a turn.
You also end up riding on the sides of your tires.
If you have to change a u-joint you'll have to take every thing apart to change one.
I have never had to change a CV joint in 10 yrs on any of our Springers.
That is why I use CV joints, but if I did have to change one this is how it is done.

--- End quote ---

Ah yes, you're right. I forgot about effective axle length change with suspension travel.

I've never had a VW cv joint in my hand. I'm assuming it uses some type of "plunging spline shaft" to account for axle length during articulation?

I know most vehicles just use and inner tripod joint to account for suspension action, but it doesn't look like this is how the VW units work.

I'm not looking to race the thing, just smooth out the ride and possibly get the outer hubs further away from the tub (and maybe tweek axle center spacing) to increase my tire options.

I do have a tendency to not be able to leave anything alone, building for more HP in the future might not be such a bad thing......;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with 6x6Talk Forum. To register, please click here...
Go to full version