Author Topic: Electric Motor???  (Read 3451 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
Re: Electric Motor???
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 07:37:33 AM »
That's what I was thinking after reading you post's
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline lislandjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 6x6'er
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »
Finally caved and took it to a small engine shop near me. Crank seals and crank bearings are shot. Motor is a no-go.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
If you can get some pic's and post them as we will try to help you get a good machine !

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »
Thank you for your input. This is far from putting a bad taste in my mouth. The local volunteer fire department that I used to be a member of has 2 Argo 8X8's. I've driven those for hours on end in the woods fighting brush fires and search and rescue operations.  This is just frustrating. I'm really curious to see what this other machine he has is.  Terra Jet? Coot?  Hope to go see it tomorrow.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »
Ok here is my 2 cents.
I work on these And resell them. You Need to look at what you want for your money ?
If the lower tube is trashed and the tranny is missing + your engine is shot Cut and run !
Use it for parts !
Fund another like it and have extra parts to keep you rolling. Even though it is your first Don't let a dead dog give you a BAD taste for a true 6x6 !!!!
There are Plenty of Attex's out there for sale in better shape.
Save your money and time and go into it rite !!

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »
There is 1 Baker Hill transmission on eBay for $500. Does anyone have one cheaper?  A predator 420cc is another $350.  Steering levers move freely and all chain is there and intact. I guess I could pull it behind my four wheeler and attempt to work the levers and see if I can break each side individually to know if all of that works.  I have no idea at all if the original engine mounting plate is underneath the new engine Tower. I know I could make a new mount for an engine if I needed to. The bottom hull is cracked in a few spots. I know this won't hold water. Tires are in decent shape. With what I traded for the machine I'm into it for about $400 as of right now. Honest opinion guys, is the machine worth another $850?  Thanks to everybody that helped on this so far. This is my first one. Even with the issues I'm having here I've already got my eyes on a second machine the seller has.  I'm hoping to lay eyes on it tomorrow. It only has two axles, four wheels. It was only ever a four-wheel machine. I have no clue what it is. it just sounds really cool.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »
you don't need any batteries. just use a long cord  rofl
Now that wisdom to work by  ::)

Offline WFO

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
you don't need any batteries. just use a long cord  rofl
"94" MAX IV SPRINGER & ULTIMATE BEARINGS
BE JUDGED BY YOUR CHARACTER

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »
Joe, IMO even if you were to go with an electric motor you would still have to take all the existing mounts and transmissions out.  This will allow you to properly mount everything and hopefully leave room for batteries.  You would more than likely have the same amount of work and similar costs doing that or tearing everything out and going with a gas engine and new transmission.  I know cost is an issue and you want to keep it down but if the engine you have won't run and you don't have another to replace it with then your best bet is to bite the bullet, tear it apart and do it right.  Now if you can get a cheap used engine that works and you just want it to putz and toy around in then that may be the way for you to go, even if you had to change the engine mounts.

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 07:34:43 PM »
I am running the stock Amphicat tranny. You DO need a new tranny But there are some out there. But even if you change over you Still need a New tranny !
My set up went in just like stock !

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
What transmission are you running? This is a 1968 attex that had I believe the Baker Hill.  Two-thirds of the Baker Hill transmission is missing. I will not have reverse capabilities the way it sits now.  Are you running a chain from the motor to the transmission axle or are you running a belt?

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
I am running the 420cc in mine. It is like 13 HP.
You really need to through away all the Mess and start fresh ! I did many times with Botched up machines !!!
Trust me it is Way more simple this way.
Engine mounts are not hard to make and this engine is Top notch in my book.

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:18:45 PM »
Have looked at several Motors from different places. Predator from Harbor Freight. power horse from Northern Tool and some others. The problem I'm running into is the distance between the engine mounting bolt hole and the center of the pulley.  I can't find anything that is remotely close. It's going to require me making yet another engine mount on top of this botched-up monstrosity.  Every motor I've looked at would have the belt way off lining up with the Apex gear box underneath it.  What size Predator did you put in there? I'm looking at the 420cc. If you recall the pictures my main drive axle that has the Baker Hill transmission is now chain driven instead of belt driven.  I know the machine ran in this configuration. I just want to see it run again before I sink a whole lot of money into it. Another issue I ran into with this setup is that the belt is now on the right side of the machine. That puts the exhaust right up against the seat instead of at the back of the machine on any new motor I were to put on.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:20:48 PM by lislandjoe »

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »
As far as I know it take that many batteries to power a motor of the size your in need of ? Even the GEM cars use that many Batts.
I work on them also.
The big down fall is the Weight !
I would scrap the JLO and put a Briggs or Predator engine in it.
I put a Predator in my amphicat that had an engine just like ours and it worked Great !!

Offline lislandjoe

• 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 06:49:28 PM »
Batteries are not so much a problem. I work for a Communications company. We build and maintain tower sites. I have a greenhouse on my property that's off the grid with 6 batteries in it. New these batteries are $1,000 a piece. I get them just a couple of years old when removed for routine maintenance. I'm a 12 volt electrician by trade working on emergency vehicles. My lack of knowledge is in matching up a motor to make the machine move. I can make the motor spin I just need to make sure I've got the right motor. I'm just trying to think outside the box here. I still can't get this JLo motor to run. I'm about to give up on this motor. I'm looking to remove this entire engine tower that my machine has and almost start from scratch. That would mean I would need a Baker Hill transmission as well. I'm just spitballing ideas here. Thank you for the input. I wonder if there is a 24 or 36 volt motor that would push the machine not requiring so many batteries.