Author Topic: Svanguard starters  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Msafi65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: Svanguard starters
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »
Try to contact member “nubs “. He will know. I’m not sure the machined areas are on both sides. I have a block out in cold storage and a new starter on the shelf if you can’t get ahold of nubs.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
Well I don’t think I got the starter mounted back all the way and that’s what happened. Anyone see any reason why I can’t relocate the starter to the oil filter side of the motor?

These holes appear to be in the same spot and the rotation would be the correct way. A lot of vertical motors I’ve seen don’t even use this shroud between the motor and the flywheel, don’t see why we’d need it, worst comes to worse I could drill a hole in it to match the hole on the other side.

Offline Msafi65

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 12:04:36 AM »
Pull the four mount nuts and raise the engine a bit. If a piece of old drive was left in the cover it will cause problems. Also turn engine over and inspect teeth. If there is a damaged one it will eat drives. Have to use plastic drive on aluminum ring gear. Good luck.

Offline snaps10

• 6x6'er
Svanguard starters
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
I’m getting fed up with this motor. Finally get the rpms up a bit and chewed up a starter gear. No biggie, it lasted me a year. Toss a new one on yesterday, which is a horrible process as the starter is inches from the t20 and a pain to do. Son starts it up today and comes in saying he thinks the starter gear is bad. Try turning it over by hand to align the teeth and it’s jammed up. Wiggle the clutch a bit to see and pull the recoil to the sounds of shattering plastic and clanking.

Can I replace the plastic gear with a metal one?  What would cause me to chew up starters like this?

Can I relocate the starter to the other side of the engine, where there’s infinitely more room. There appears to be the proper bolt holes on that side. I’d have to turn my oil filter 90degrees, but it’s a good excuse to put a cooler on anyway.