Author Topic: Clone engines  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Dw89xj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Re: Clone engines
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
That's pretty much how mine looks too, except I currently have my head off going to smooth out some of the rougness in the ports and gasket match it all. I figure nothing to lose by smoothing out some of the cast marks and sharp edges. Besides it's the cheapest thing I can do at the moment since I have a Dremel
Dan

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
Keeping it old school!  O0
Pretty much have to at my age  whistling  banana
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
  • Jonathan's South Texas 6x6
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 12:20:40 PM »
Keeping it old school!  O0

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »
She is a Oldy but a Goody for sure  :D

Offline JonathanF101185

• Full 6x6'er
  • Jonathan's South Texas 6x6
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 11:25:55 AM »
 :o Clean Clean Machine!  I like it! dance

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
The one in my A,cat Runs out Real nice !! It is fast and has the Grunt to pull  banana
Here is what I did as you can see. No Major inside work. I like to keep it Simple and dependable !

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 06:55:01 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of what gains to expect from certain mods but that formula can come in handy.
  I saw bullfrog has a 74mm stroker crank for these clones. I'm guessing that's how they get their 500cc race engine. I think if I went with the 69mm crank I'd be at 460cc instead of 440 from what I gather on the Vegas carts site.
Dan

Offline garretttpe

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
If you are looking at TQ vs HP here is a simple formula to see where you will be

HP X RPM / 5252

18 x 3600 / 5252 = 12.33 ft lbs tq

if you are looking at a specific TQ do the formula backwards

TQ x 5252 / RPM

12.33 x 5252 / 3600 = 17.98 hp

hope this helps to figure what you are looking for.

Larry

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 08:26:20 AM »
I used the 13 HP Predator engine from Harbor Freight in my Amphicat. Gov delete and some small mods . Really like the power and speed I get out of it. Look at my amphicat build as I have pic's posted there. There Cheap and Reliable !
  Awesome I like how this is sounding, what all have you done to yours? I only have the air intake and header so far, but if it's worth while to spend a little extra on internals that will be on the upgrades list. I got a killer deal on the engine from max tools it was on sale for 269.99 last summer or fall.
Dan

Offline wedge

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »
I used the 13 HP Predator engine from Harbor Freight in my Amphicat. Gov delete and some small mods . Really like the power and speed I get out of it. Look at my amphicat build as I have pic's posted there. There Cheap and Reliable !

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
JerseyBigfoot set me up with one. I bought a few upgrades when I ordered it. It's pretty sweet. I'm racing with and doing very nicely.

Upgrades aren't too expensive and they're pretty easy to do.

Jersey's running with an engine be bought from a company like Vegas Carts called "Bullfrog." He's pretty happy with his too. He's also managed to beat me pretty good in the A-stock races.
   I won't be racing,  but do want as much torque as I can within reason and some speed doesn't scare me either. I'll be mainly just using it to hunt trail ride, I am planning for tracks though, that's why torque is a concern for me. Also I have trouble just letting stuff alone lol
Dan

Offline George

• Sr. 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:04:37 AM »
JerseyBigfoot set me up with one. I bought a few upgrades when I ordered it. It's pretty sweet. I'm racing with and doing very nicely.

Upgrades aren't too expensive and they're pretty easy to do.

Jersey's running with an engine be bought from a company like Vegas Carts called "Bullfrog." He's pretty happy with his too. He's also managed to beat me pretty good in the A-stock races.

Offline Dw89xj

• Full 6x6'er
Clone engines
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:04:30 PM »
   So I'm going to be running the duromax 18 hp Honda clone. I was considering using the Vegas carts torque cam and all supporting mods that must be done in order to use it reliably, anyone else here using this engine with these mods done? How was the reliability? Did the crank hold up? I think it's only another 60 or 70 bucks for the crank from them. I have the air filter and header already, just wasn't sure if the gains by doing all the extra internal upgrades justify the money roughly 210 dollars plus shipping not including the crank. Also how are the stock carburetor on these? I know I need to play around with the Jets to get it running to full potential. But do they do fine other than that? Handle slopes and sudden stops and turns fine? Also if anyone is in South Central Pennsylvania with one of these engines on their ride which jet size did you find to work best for our elevation? Just wondering so I have a starting point to reference so I can be closer when it's go time. As always thank you all for the help and for a great group.
Dan