Author Topic: Sierra trail boss  (Read 1423 times)

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
Re: Sierra trail boss
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »
Here is another video for you.

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »
Check out this video if you haven't seen it.

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 11:07:34 AM »
"**Edit- are these vesely transmissions easy to bench test like a t20?"

I have never worked on one of these transmissions but if I was to guess I would say if you spun the input shaft the output shaft should turn as long as it is engaged.

Offline Dw89xj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:51:18 PM »
Thank you much for responding, I wasn't sure if there was anything else I should watch for. From what I gather parts are scarce, but that's not a deal breaker. I do not want to invest much in this thing if it's worth trying to get going, I put way more than expected in my max. I found a few Kohler single cylinders on CL for decent prices that would be good deals but if the 2 stroke turns freely I might just get a carb for it and she will have her own cans for mixed gas or maybe sell it to fund one of the Kohler's. If nothing else it will be a good trailer or gold fish pond.
**Edit- are these vesely transmissions easy to bench test like a t20?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:56:37 PM by Dw89xj »
Dan

Offline ascaw

• Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 08:29:38 PM »
I don't know a lot about these but the tires on them are 18" so it has a lot less ground clearance than your Max does.  They also have 2 transmissions, a left and right.  They tend to sheer the pin that locks the drive sprocket to the transmission output shaft.  I'm sure as you said the frame will need some attention.  They obviously did some fabrication to move the engine.  It's a 2-stroke so you may want to do a complete engine swap to a 4-stroke if you plan on trail riding it.  Depending on how much money and time you want to put into it you may be better off making it a trailer as you stated.  I think they also tend to run hot when the engine is in the stock position.  twoCents
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:42:38 PM by ascaw »

Offline Dw89xj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full 6x6'er
Sierra trail boss
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:11:06 PM »
I may be acquiring a Sierra trail boss, what should I look out for aside from cracked or broken transmission and rotten frame. The engine has been swapped to a twin and was moved to the back of the machine, o assume because the exhaust wouldn't fit under the hump if it were mounted in front of the transmissions. I'm not finding much about these on line other than a few videos on YouTube and a vesely trans rebuild video "mini series" type deal. The plastic appears to be in okay shape other than being cut for the engine to fit. I haven't seen it in person just pictures a friend sent me. If they are worthwhile machines I'd like to try and get it going for my wife, it's been sitting uncovered for I have no idea how long, the pictures I have it's full of snow and ice. If these are junk or not worth fixing I'm still going to get it to make a trailer for my max. But fir now I'm just trying to find good info about these machines because if it's not too far gone I want to get it up and going for my wife to have her own amphib, I built/am building my max custom to me because I'm paraplegic and love being where the chair says I can't go. Attached are pics of my Max and the trail boss in question.
Dan